Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: using dual-monitors  (Read 5373 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »

Today I was able to get a Dell-monitor connected to my Dell-laptop and have the same information displayed simultaneously on both screens.

To get this to happen....
At first, a concerted reasoned process was used to get the monitor to display something.
When that was unsuccessful, out of frustration, I resorted to just clicking (on whatever screens I could make come up) in a random fashion to see if I could get something to work.
Ultimately, I got the monitor to display what was on my laptop's screen.
I'll admit that I'm in an area where I don't understand the terminology.

Anyway, I'm looking at those screens and saying to myself, "What is the point of having two screens? I wanted to display a separate program on each screen and I don't know how to do it."
Hopefully somebody can tell me what I need to do to make that happen.

73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »

Depends on OS on laptop and video hardware. My HP laptops with Vista and Win 7 can map other display as extend desktop.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »

I wanted to display a separate program on each screen and I don't know how to do it."
Hopefully somebody can tell me what I need to do to make that happen.

Go into Display Settings ( either from the control panel or by right clicking on an empty spot on the desktop)
Select the Settings Tab
you should see two monitors ( 1 & 2 )  Smiley
Select monitor #2
Click on  "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor" *
Click on OK

*(Specifies that your desktop will be extended onto the monitor corresponding to the icon you selected above. This check box is unavailable for your primary monitor because additional monitors are all extensions of the primary monitor.)

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »

Go into Display Settings ( either from the control panel or by right clicking on an empty spot on the desktop)
Select the Settings Tab
you should see two monitors ( 1 & 2 )  Smiley
Select monitor #2
Click on  "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor" *
Click on OK
*(Specifies that your desktop will be extended onto the monitor corresponding to the icon you selected above. This check box is unavailable for your primary monitor because additional monitors are all extensions of the primary monitor.)

I thought I did this correctly but it has not turned out very well.
Now my monitor has the desktop and my laptop's screen is dark.
I've since tried all sorts of things none of which were successful in getting the desktop on both screens.

My reason for even beginning this effort to see that I can get a second screen working was because Dell has a sale on monitors going on till April 13th.
I'm assuming that I'm the problem here in getting dual-monitors to work and will go ahead with ordering the new monitor.
I'm stopping this current effort because I intend to upgrade from Vista to Windows7.
Then I'll try it with Windows7.

BTW, the monitor I'm using now ordinarily is connected to a Yaesu DMU-2000 connected to a Yaesu FT-950.

73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »

Most laptops will mirror laptops made in last 10 to 12 years display to a external monitor but mapping it to its own desktop also require newer hardware to support it. Dell has never been on cutting edge with laptops and yours is old enough that is likely does not support what you want in hardware. Usually you can hotkey external display on and of with keyboard. (usually function and F4 or F5)

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »

Most laptops will mirror laptops made in last 10 to 12 years display to a external monitor but mapping it to its own desktop also require newer hardware to support it. Dell has never been on cutting edge with laptops and yours is old enough that is likely does not support what you want in hardware. Usually you can hotkey external display on and of with keyboard. (usually function and F4 or F5)
Well, reading that about Dell laptops is disappointing.
Maybe it is not me causing the problem.
Although I've been a heavy computer-user since the 1970s, I never had experience using dual-monitors, so I just thought that a major player like Dell would have competitive gear.
My Dell laptop is an Inspiron 1525 and I bought it new in Nov 2008.
Is there some item I can check to see if its hardware can do dual-monitors such that I can have a different program on each screen?

My plan was......the monitor would have Digipan on it as a starter; later moving to MMTTY & maybe Flidigi or HRD-DM780 as I gain experience in the digital-modes.

I need to ask:
1. Say the laptop was capable of supporting dual-monitors.
2. Would I see the same desktop on each screen?
3. What would I do to call up Digipan on the monitor and prevent it from also showing up on the laptop's screen?

73 Jerry KM3K

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

Jerry, Dell has always used older new hardware (3 to 6 month older ) than HP and Toshiba to improve profit on bottom line because it is cheaper. You laptop is of era that Dell rushed to market with old chipsets that were not Vista Compliant while HP waited for them. I would get a new laptop as even a 400 buck one would be well ahead of your old one.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:42:36 AM »

I found those two, take a look and see how you make out:

http://support.dell.com/support/richmedia/fullplayer.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&embedCode=xkaWszMTreMk1sDPXJs3WiiItvTzjiG_

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_361171&isLegacy=true
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 07:30:07 AM »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
From them, I've learned that Function F8 is my friend; it solved the mystery of the blank laptop-screen.
On my system, Function F8 togles between three choices...just the monitor, just the laptop-screen, or both displays.
Someday, that info could be very helpful as I do technical presentations at our local club-meetings and we are temporarily using a new meeting room where we have to connect my laptop to a projector via the VGA-port. If there is a problem connecting someday, I'll be aware of what Function F8 can do.
Other than that, still no joy here.
But the links did get me to Dell and I have posted my dilemma there.
BTW, in checking what's in the Dell 1525, I found under "display" that it has an Intel 965 chipset; anybody know what that does? Going to the Intel site was no help to me for an answer.
73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 07:58:18 AM »

G965 is the chipset for motherboard/CPU logic. It will likely have a Intel GMA X3000 integrated video on board attached to it. This Chipset dates to 2006 and 2007 and is pretty primitive on video side. It DOES NOT support separate video. The Q965 with GMA 3000 does but is extremely unlikely that you old Dell has this chipset.  Intel has always had good MB logic but behind power curve on integrated video. (this is how AMD has made in roads in laptop market in last few years because they own ATI and offer superior on board video) You are beating a dead horse here. Hardware will not do what you want it too.

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »

OK, John W8JX, I'll throw in the towel on this approach; your info is good to know.

Plan-B would be to get my old E-machines 466ID out of storage and put "light Ubuntu" and "WINE" on it to run the programs I mentioned (well, maybe HRD-DM780 maybe too much for that processor). That'll be interesting as each one of those steps will have its own learning curve; probably take me till Labor Day to get it running right.

73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »

Jerry, you could simply buy a new 400 buck or so laptop that would be faster than old one, have Win7 , support what you want to do and finally if you are "green" it will use much less power than running old Dell and E-machine. I have several laptops here and use one exclusively with ham Radio for Data modes, Web, Log and radio control. It is not dual screen as it does not support extended desktop but I did install a new hard drive and upgraded it to fastest CPU that it would support (1.7ghz Celeron 390) and it does a fine job for shack. If you wish to continue using your Dell I strongly suggest you replace hard drive before it fails because it is the weak link in most laptops. After 3 years  or so you are starting to push your luck with them.

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »

Thanks to W8JX; even though I may not have used your suggestion, know that it certainly influenced my decisions.
So, after having considered at length very seriously those thoughts and visiting various sites/stores for prices/options:

1. First thing decided is to stay away from Dell for any purchases.
I should have gone with HP as I had done throughout my profession-career.

2. Secondly, I could get a new machine with Windows7 but, in thinking about it, I’ve come to realize that Windows is “so yesterday”; time for something new here.

3. So, even though the cash (via Christmas/birthday presents) is there to get a new computer, I’m just going to buy a new HP monitor ($99 at Walmart), pull the Emachines 466ID out of storage and put “light Ubuntu” on it to run Digipan and then, later on, Fldigi.
The new monitor goes with the Emachines.
The lure of Linux is enticing to me; it is fresh, new, different.
Sure, there’ll be a learning-curve but I see that as part of the fun.
The chance to do something Unix related is exciting.
Besides, I’ve read that part of the ham-radio hobby is supposed to be “nuts and bolts”.

4. I’ll upgrade the Dell laptop to Windows7 just to get away from Vista even though I’ll grumble forever about having to spend the money.

5. That’ll still leave plenty of cash to spend on antennas, coax, switches and other stuff.

Thanks again for the help.
73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 06:26:23 AM »

4. I’ll upgrade the Dell laptop to Windows7 just to get away from Vista even though I’ll grumble forever about having to spend the money.

This may or may not be a can of worms. I would take the approx $100 cost of upgrade and throw in another 300 or so and get a new laptop. It will be faster (faster and new hard drive design too) and fully W7 compliant and not have old non compliant hardware and a hard drive 3+ years old getting to be on borrowed time. Laptop hardware has come a long way since you dell was built (further than desktops in some ways) and new OS does not change old hardware.

KB0ASQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:38:42 AM »

I have to agree with John.  For the money I would look at a new laptop rather than upgrade to Win7 from Vista.

We have used a USB video card in the past year.  I was skeptical, but we brought it in for a customer and tested it.  It work ok, we watched youtube videos on it and netflix and it worked ok.  I would say it was high performance by any means, but it worked.

Allen KBØASQ
http://kb0asq.com
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: