Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Bureau's  (Read 3669 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »

Here in Western Mass. we used to have our own buro located here.  I'm guessing they could not find enough volunteers because the buro is now in Eastern Mass. and the volunteers are from the Yankee Clipper DC Club.

I imagine it's a job which requires much time and there is little appreciation.

My thanks to all who volunteer!

Chris/NU1O
N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »

You should visit W1AW and observe the Buro process. You just might have a different outlook on the subject. Good luck.

73 Joe Patrick DE K4XZ

Joe,
If this was meant for me, I have been to Headquarters three times,
once when I was transferred to Bridgeport CT for work and toured the
OUTGOING Bureau each time.

I have just placed a picture of me under the ARRL sign here:
http://qrz.com/db/N8XI
and a picture of my wife and I at Mystic Seaport:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rick-semi/Amateur%20Radio/MysticSeaport.jpg
I 'kinda' know how the Outgoing Bureau works and a little bit about the ARRL.
But...I was relating kinks in my relation to my Incoming Bureau.
I have been a ham since 1958 and DXing in earnest since 1988.

Thanks for the reply
73, Rick – N8XI
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »

Here in Western Mass. we used to have our own buro located here.  I'm guessing they could not find enough volunteers because the buro is now in Eastern Mass. and the volunteers are from the Yankee Clipper DC Club.

I imagine it's a job which requires much time and there is little appreciation.

My thanks to all who volunteer!

Chris/NU1O

One club will handle an entire call area (unless its W4 which has so many hams as to require 2 bureaus).  YCCC's been handling W1 for a number of years.
K4XZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »

Rick
No offense meant to anyone personally. I apologize if any was taken. I have seen the buro operation and it is a thankless tireless job. Many thanks to all who work there. As far as the incoming buro goes. I have had cards show up 8 years after the QSO under my old callsign. The #4 district is the only one split into 2 Branch's. Yes it's far from perfect, but that's what we have.
For the cost I use it when needed. If I really need a card I'll spend a few bucks and send it direct. Still no guarantee you get a card back. Again no offense meant. Thanks.

Joe Patrick DE K4XZ
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »

The bureau can be very slow....or surprisingly fast.

I got a card from the French bureau 6 weeks after the QSO.  Amazing.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »

I've been receiving QSLs thru the buro system for almost 50 years now and my experiences have been all over the map.  Generally, since I received a zero callsign in 1985, my luck has been good.  Unfortunately I went thru a spell (when a previous club was sorting the 10th district) when I got few mailings.  Turns out my "R" sorter was an over-the-road truck driver and seldom was home, let alone had time to devote to QSL sorting.  I've had no problems since the Mississippi Valley DX/Contest Club has taken over buro duties.  They don't want envelopes or stamps.  I just send them a check and mailing labels and they provide necessary supplies and postage.  Hopefully one of these days they will get set up for PayPal or at least online credit cards.  That would be the ultimate in ease.

I think everyone knows that buro work is a thankless job, but I believe no one will have their attitude changed, regardless of what they see at ARRL HQ, if they can't pry their cards out of their district sorters.  I think some clubs go into the sorting business great guns and all enthusiastic, only to burn out over time.  Sorting gets relegated to the back burner when sorters get old or die or become inactive in the club.  It's hard to provide reliable service over the long haul.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:52:23 PM by K0RS » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »

I think everyone knows that buro work is a thankless job, but I believe no one will have their attitude changed, regardless of what they see at ARRL HQ, if they can't pry their cards out of their district sorters.  I think some clubs go into the sorting business great guns and all enthusiastic, only to burn out over time.  Sorting gets relegated to the back burner when sorters get old or die or become inactive in the club.  It's hard to provide reliable service over the long haul.

I'll have to take issue with that last statement, at least as far as the second district is concerned. The North Jersey DX Association has run the 2nd district bureau continuously since 1957, and we provide an excellent service by and large. The bureau is our biggest responsibility and nobody joins the NJDXA without making a long-term commitment as a bureau sorter; either as a primary or a letter manager.I do agree that it can be a thankless job at times but if a letter manager keeps in contact with his or her subscribers it can be rewarding. At a local hamfest last week I met one of our subscribers. He didn't know me but saw my NJDXA badge. He asked if I was a volunteer with the bureau and went out of his way to thank us. He asked if I knew his sorter, and as it turned out, it was me (he holds an O call). We chatted for about several minutes about the bureau and how great an option it is for him and I was glad to be of service.

I've chatted up a few O call holders when I'm running in smaller contests; if they're subscribers I mention that I'm the guy who handles their cards and if they have any complaints or compliments to drop me an e-mail. If they're not, I give them the URL of the club if time allows.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »

It's hard to provide reliable service over the long haul.

I'll have to take issue with that last statement,

OK Peter, have your way.  It's easy.  Roll Eyes

I love the internet.  Make an obviously true statement and somebody, somewhere will dispute it.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: