Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ WW Strategy  (Read 907 times)
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »

I am fairly new to contesting and this will be my first CQ WW.
During the daytime (in Ohio) I would be on 20 meters definitely, but checking 15 to see if its open.
But what about after dark when 20 meters dies? I never heard DX on 40 meters. At midnight what bands and strategy should I use? I have access to some nice tall 40-6m beams and my own 80-10m vertical.
KB3HJK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:02:29 AM »

DX on 40 might be down in the CW portion of the band, with the DX station working split. But you will be suprised how many DX stations seem to surface during this contest, all over the band.

Kevin
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »

Hello:

I typically do not run on 40M during a phone contest. CW on that band is great, but phone is a real bear. Not only do you have alot of the DX running split, you have to put up with all the broadcast interference.

Usally when 80 Meters opens up I move there to run, and then S&P Mult's on 40 meter as needed. If you have a 160 meter antenna you may want to give that a try. Last night Europe was wide open to the states, and there is typically alot of room to play with. I would caution, this would only be a good strategy if you are unable to hold a run on 80 meters.

Rich, AJ3G
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:37:35 AM »

I'm sure that 20 meters will be wall to wall. And if 15 meters isn't open then the rest will be on 40. Will people be running split when the frequency real estate is this crowded?
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »

Not all, but quit a few will be. They typically sit on top of the CW portion of the band and listen up into our phone portion.

When you hear a P/U with no DX make sure you check down in the high part of the CW portion. I believe the real-estate on 40 will be more cramped due to the high power broadcast stations. This is why I like to run 80 and work mults on 40 as needed.

Rich
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »

The reason for using split on 40 meters, is amateurs in Region 1 have limited access to the spectrum above 7.100.
Therefore, to work US stations (on phone), they must transmit between 7.000 and 7.100 and listen in the US portion of 40 meters. That is from 7.125 to 7.300.
A few countries have begun to permit their licensees to have access to spectrum above 7.100, but they are few and far between. In some cases, the licensees have to apply for an additional license and pay a fee for that license.

Do not be intimidated by using split on 40 meters.
Just be careful to make sure you ARE in split mode when transmitting. It is VERY easy, if you are not paying attention, to forget to engage split and be transmitting in the US CW portion of the 40 meter band.

Don't be intimidated by the prospect of shortwave broadcast interference either.
There is little SW activity in the 7.000 to 7.100 portion of the band, the majority of activity is between 7.100 and 7.300.
In CQ WW DX, domestic contacts (USA) have no point value and you will not find activity except for US stations working the Europeans, and other regions.

Good luck.

I will be playing.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:11:24 PM »

There were many carribean and EU DX stations up in the USA 40M phone segment, but more down between 7020-7100. They need to get their own DX multipliers, so they tend to listen on their own and the USA band segment simultaneously, but at times they will only listen in the 7020-7100 segment. To have fun in the contest, you can work where you like when you like, but to compete as an all band entry, you need to work every band that opens. You mentioned possibly listening on 15M; 15M was wide open to EU Sunday and limited open to EU on Saturday, but was good to SA and Carribean both days. 10M was open Sunday for me. A general rule is that you should check one band higher or lower than the band you can hear and work stations on, because missing even a few multipliers can cost you if trying to be competitive. The openings may be limited to a few hours, but try to be on that band when that happens. After a few contests, you will know when and where to listen for the limited openings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: