Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SO2R RTTY Setup Question  (Read 2074 times)
5R8GQ

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:09:20 PM »

Hello to all:

I have been into RTTY contesting for some years and would like to take a crack at SO2R RTTY.

Here is what I have for my present RTTY station: Icom 756 PROII, AL80A, HAL DXP-38 RTTY Modem using WriteLOG software, running on an old Dell laptop which has one serial port and only one USB port.
My second HF rig would be my Kenwood TS-940SAT.
Only two antennas: HF6V and Alpha Delta DX-DD (40m-80m)

What's the best way to make this into a SO2R setup without spending an arm and a leg? I think that Writelog will support two TNC's but I can't afford another HAL DXP38. I do have a Timewave DSP-599zx, which has a RTTY modem function, but I don't know if it would work with the WriteLOG software.

Should I drop the modem concept and use sound card RTTY software for both rigs, such as MMTTY? Does WriteLOG support this? I  have heard it does but am not certain. I guess if I went that way I would have to buy a second sound card interface, I  have a rigblaster already. How about that MFJ-645 "SO2R" box, anyone use one of those?

Any other suggestions from SO2R ops?
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »

Hello:

I would definitly drop the TNC and use the soundcard for RTTY SO2R. I would also recommend using an SO2R controller. The newer ones are not cheap, but well worth the investment, and should you not like SO2R they still provide the end user alot of functionality.

Rich, AJ3G
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »

One other comment I fogot to make in the previous post is I would recommend N1MM over WriteLog. I have used them both, and find N1MM logger is far superior for SO2R, and it's free!

Rich, AJ3G
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 01:16:31 PM »

Thanks for your helpful comments.
I will miss the HAL unit, but I guess current
software is so good it doesn't matter, especially when used with the PRO II's twin peak RTTY filter.

tnx agn es 73, Ken
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:34:09 AM »

Ken:

Once you start using a soundcard and AFSK on RTTY contest you will never want to go back. I used to contest with AEA PK-900's and I can't imagine doing that ever again.

One of the key advantages to soundcard AFSK is you can leave the rigs bandpass open and use a mouse to interrogate signals of intrest by simply clicking a mouse. It also makes tuning to a RTTY packet spot 100 times easier.

I use a Microham MK2R+ for my SO2R control, and this unit also provides two isolated soundcards, Two Serial Ports for CAT control, Antenna Switching, Winkey, and much much more! I am aware Array solutions has thier own varient of SO2R controllers as well. You should probably take a look at both, as they seem to be the main source for SO2R control. Their used to be anotehr vendor that made controllers out of Europe, but I have not seen the advertise in sometime, and believe they have since folded.

Rich, AJ3G

5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »

Hello Rich:
Thanks for the added advice. Wow, that controller you speak of is not cheap, but it does have an impressive list of features. I would not have rig control on my second radio (the TS-940) as I do not have the RS232 unit or chip set for it and they are pretty scarce these days. Oh well, I suppose I can use the Kenwood for running a freq and the 756 for H & P. I looked at the N1MM software as you suggested and it seems to fit all my needs for RTTY contesting, thanks.

Do you know anyone who has tried the MFJ SO2R box? I was hoping to **TRY** SO2R first with a minimum investment to see if I like it before diving in with two feet. I know that contest rules forbid the transmitting of two signals simultaneously, but even alternating CQ's on two different bands, I would think it would get pretty hectic if people came back to you on both bands at the same time. Or is that not the style of operating used in SO2R?

A bit off topic but here goes: Do you think that SO2R stations should have a separate scoring category in RTTY contests vs one op and one radio?
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »

Hello Again:

I sent you an email with some ideas in it.

As for the second catagory, I don't think their needs to be one at this point. If you are able to keep up with the work load then their should be a reward. Most people starting out tend to have lower scores as they get the hang of it, and then there is a vast improvement.

I typically don't run dualing CQ's on two different bands. If I have a good run on one band I keep it going for as long as I can. When the run dies, I begin to S&P on the sencond band for mult's or additional qso's. The only time I start dualing CQ's is when it gets really slow.  

Rich, AJ3G
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »

I personally use and recommend the microham MK2R+

www.microham.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: