Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-990 or IC-765  (Read 7916 times)
AF5LO

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »

If you had to choose between these two rigs (assume factory condition - no options installed), which one?  For DX and SWL. 

Thanks for any replies!

73, Lenny - AF5LO
AF5LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:59:10 AM »

I am leaning that way but a little nervous about parts availability should I need to fix it. 

73 - Lenny AF5LO
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »

I would take either, but have had a 765 and liked it very much. Loaded it with the 9MHz IF am xtal filter (remember to throw the little switch to activate it) and some 250Hz filters in each IF. Outstanding radio, but many parts are no longer around, such as the cpu and various others. I suspect the 990 would be in much the same way, if not now then in the newr future. If I had a 765 today I would add the filters and then pull the ac supply out and run it off dc, wich is easily done.

I think from the qst review the 990 isn't as stout a rx as the 765, and may have a noisier tx, the 765 had a clean tx. Either way you go they are nice rigs.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »

Given age of rigs and there technology it will kinda be a crap shoot on reliability. Both have seen better days but 765 would be more of a classic.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
AF5LO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »

Thanks!   Looking into a TS-850SAT as well...  We'll see what happens.  I am trying to stay around $600. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »

Thanks!   Looking into a TS-850SAT as well...  We'll see what happens.  I am trying to stay around $600. 

850 is a good rig. Might look at a TS-570 as it is in that price range and a good radio. The display is big and easy on eyes too.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »

of the first part i take the 765... the 850 is nice and good sounding  and with the optional dsp set up it can be even better i been told...
AF5LO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »

The 570 is also intriguing.  My XYL said I need to get something we can use while camping - which tends to immediately rule out the big boys in the message title.  The portable units out there are pretty pricey (Icoms), the Yaesu models look decent, and Kenwood had the TS-50S, which I almost bought many moons ago.  Of those I only think a TS-50S could fall in my price range.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »

TS-50 was kinda the first of its kind but not great on selectivity or overall performance. I had a friend that got on years ago for traveling in a MH and later regretted choice.  570 has built in SS tuner and it works well and will match SWR up to about 5 to one quickly. The LCD display is very easy to see even in bright light. I used to use a TS-140 for many years as a backup and portable but display was tuff to see in bright light. I briefly had a 450 and got rid of it for 570 11 years ago and still use 570 today. 570 which was Kenwoods first radio with built in AF DSP has much better noise reduction than earlier Kenwood rigs.

K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »

The 765 is a fine transceiver, but unless you're technically savvy, I'm not sure I'd buy one in "factory condition".  Look for one that has had the plastic variables replaced with ceramics (can't recall which board that was).  Also, the DC/DC converter that produces the voltage for the display can be troublesome, resulting in a dim or flickering display.  That fix just involves resoldering some board connections.  Both of these problems tended to show up after several years of use.

73, K8AC
PG00023016

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:50:49 AM »

I'd go for the TS-850 out of the group. Any day of the week. (Well except for Wednesdays-- Then FT-990.)

Best Regards de Kevin N5BAM
W2EJG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:14:51 AM »

The 990 is compact, can be portable and a very fine rig. Like all new (to you) rigs it has its quirks, but read the manual and all will be well.

There is an active Yahoo group for the 990.

Check to be sure you will get the 1.3 CPU. Makes it easy for logging/computer control

Bob   W2EJG
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:56:38 AM »

990 is not in same league as a 850. 850 was/is a classic. But remember that as good as radio was new, (it was considered a somewhat upper end rig) newer used middle class rigs for same price are better than it.

AF5LO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »

Yeah this is getting to be a harder decision than I originally thought.  And when I start thinking antennas it will be even more so.  Been essentially out of the hobby since 2001 so I have a lot of catching up to do.  Any antenna I use will be limited, and likely a vertical or sloper.  I used to have a 756PRO and kick myself for selling it.  Now to replace that with a similar rig I would be over $1000.  706 units also seem to fetch around the $1000 mark.  Missed out on the 850 as the price skyrocketed on auction at the last minutes.  There are also a few clean 751's and TS-940's out there but I am starting to think that something more current may be the ticket.  I like big radios myself which is why I like the 765.  It was recapped and went for around $650.  Probably should have snagged it and got the XYL to see things my way. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »

940s were very sweet rigs in their day for sure (one of Kenwoods best radios in past) but parts are getting scarce for them and they are getting less reliable and harder to fix with age.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: