Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for Amateur Radio Disaster Network.  (Read 3388 times)
KD0MXN

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2011, 04:25:02 PM »

I was kinda bored today in technology class so, I made a concept of a potential network for disaster communication. I'll attach the concept file and wait here for comments or questions.

http://code.ccallahan.info/ardn/Concept.jpg (Start from the bottom right and work your way up).

If you want a response in real time, I'm in #hamradio on freenode.
KD0MXN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »

I just realized encyrption is banned in the FCC regs, so, forget that part.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:58:43 AM »

Chance,
The best system for emergencies is one that's as simple as you can make it.  Your idea would probably work fine, even with the 'encryption'.
Using encryption isn't ruled out entirely.  It depends on exactly what you mean by it.  'Secret codes' are a no-no as you stated, but encryption for other purposes isn't illegal, such as for those 'pass words'.
 Paul
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:21:42 AM »

With the way things are today, the simple system of the past is no longer simple.  There has to be multiple checks and safeguards to make sure the 'wrong' people don't get into the system, and so much checking of participants and so much paperwork that a lot of the older volunteers gave it all up as a bad habit.

Thanks to the screwbrained politicians of this era, everything has to be triple checked and certified before anything can be done 'officially'.  It just brings to mind two quotes of Ben Franklin--both referring to the same thing.

"Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither."

"Those who give up their liberty for more security deserve neither liberty nor security."

Food for thought, isn't it?

N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »

Ole Ben knew a thing or 2 huh!!!!

wonder if he had any D-Star radios??   HAHAHAHA!!!
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »

Don't worry, in an "emergency" the surviving hams will be on the air in an ad hoc network.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 01:04:27 AM »

according to news I have read in recent Japanese earth quake, they said most useful things are  internet capability.  some said ham radio specially with voice just can not handle the amount of traffic compare to wireless internet.  such as send names, DOB of person in each shelters , live video, etc.   ham radio voice are seem to be more useful for communication for personal use during emergency.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: