About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange  (Read 577 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »

Am I the only one who finds 40 meters strange? Normally during this contest 40 meters would be packed, but I hear relatively few stations and very few EU. I know my rig works.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:41:05 PM »

40m sounded pretty packed to me.  From abt 7.085 to the bottom of the band, it sounded like a solid wall of beeps.  (Using a vertical)  Even with my 500Hz filter, I could usually hear 2 at a time, and frequently 3 at a time.

This was during 0100z - 0400z on 30Nov.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »

Thanks for the info, I guess its me.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »

Now it seems fine, mental I guess
KA2DDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:21:40 AM »

What I find strange is the lack of respect the ops in this weekends cw contest have for ongoing / non contest operating. Case in point, 14.070 is being bludgeoned with "cq test" even though there are any number of stations attempting to qso via psk31 with one another. It's not supposed to be this way. It is this way on all the non-warc bands.

Ok, to answer your question, I've noticed 40 meters not being it's old self either. Not sure why. At times it seems to be open long, with little or no activity.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »

heh, I know what you mean about the biblical plague of cw contesters.  I find it a little annoying, but mostly amusing.

After trying for a half hour to do some rag chewing, I gave up and made my first attempt at contesting.  I've decided that contesting is good fun.  You sort of get in a groove, and then it's hard to stop.  It's always, "I'll just do one more and then I'll go eat dinner".  Smiley  Then I went and started plugging them into the log.  I was amazed at the number of countries that I racked up in just a couple of hours.

I just wish more of these guys would stay around for the non-contest days.  I wouldn't mind seeing more CW activity on the bands in general.

mike
AB8ZX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »

yeah, today (sunday the 30th)with about an hour to go in the contest,  40 was the most packed I've ever heard. like someone else said, a continuous wall of beeps. I qsy'd back to 20, it was too much for me. I don't think cw is less popular that it used to be, sure didn't sound like it to me.

all in all, a great contest and I worked a few new ones. I'm already missing it til next year. 15 even opened up for some great contacts.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »

Conditions on 40 during the CQWW CW were fabulous for two hours BEFORE dark both nights. After sunset the band died, especially to Europe.

80 was very good over the weekend too.  

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:13:18 AM »

"Conditions on 40 during the CQWW CW were fabulous for two hours BEFORE dark both nights. After sunset the band died, especially to Europe."

Yes, I figured that out. Unfortunately not on Saturday night. But I did make some good QSO's late Subday afternoon.

All in all a great contest and conditions were fairly good considering the lack of any sunspots.

I ran a K2 @ 5 watts out with a windom antenna and made 184 QSO's in 89 countries. That's almost DXCC in a weekend QRP so there was much activity and the bands were generally quiet. All you had to do was get the propagation paths right, which I failed to do on 40.

Next year!

- NU4B
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:52 AM »

In the contest 20M was very consistently open to Europe from early AM to early afternoon form my low-power station, but 40M and 80M to europe, which are normally quite open for me in the late afternoon and evening in the winter (even more so than in the summer) were far far harder than usual for me.

I heard many big-gun stations calling TEST on 40M or 80M for ten minutes between QSO's on Sunday. That's a very very low rate for a big-gun station. So I don't think it's just you and me who were affected.

I didn't try all that hard in the contest - only 200-or-so DX QSO's - but I only made a couple of European contacts on 40M and 80M which were not with big-gun stations.

Tim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: