Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day Power Suggestions  (Read 12395 times)
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »

Hi
I have used a exercise bike converted to run a car alternator for charging batts. It employed a chain rather than a belt, chains being much more efficient, so keep that in mind when looking for candidates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_-wVuEkk2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJyQU7_U64&feature=related

Using dc motors rated for 12v is likely going to be more efficient than trying to run an alternator at 1300rpm for 30 minutes.....

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »

<quote>I have an older APC 800RT backup system for my computers, and I've modified it so I can use a couple of older car batteries for the backup power source.  Those terminals are what I used to connect them up.</quote>

Might want to do a test and see if it overheats when run for a while.  A lot of UPSes are designed for 20 minutes of run time, and then they get too hot. Particularly the inexpensive ones you see at the bigbox stores, because they're very price sensitive, so they don't spend any more on heatsinks and/or fans and/or overtemperature shutdown circuit parts than they have to.

Already taken care of.  I've installed two fans in series that will come on on power switchover to keep the circuitry cool.  The 800RT is a robust backup--you can even start up your system on battery from it.  Not that I make a habit of doing that--I was just curious about it and tried it one day.
KG6ORW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »

Dear N7VEA:
I have purchased a 60Watt, 4 panel solar charger with charge controller from Costco (also available on their internet site) for $269.  I'm not sure if that would fill your bills but it is keeping my 110 Ahr deep cycle up.
KG6ORW
N7VEA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »

Thanks Gary.  Someone else told me about the Costco panels too, so with 2 recommends I think I'll have to check it out.  Did they ship OK?  One of the biggest complaints I'm seeing on panels is "broken in shipping". 

Maybe I'll swing by the HOA/CCR threads too and see what causes more trouble, solar panels or antennas  hi hi.  Just kidding.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've learned a good bit in the last couple weeks and really appreciate all your help!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: