Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TM-V71A Fan Overactive?  (Read 1285 times)
N2IDW

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »

I just picked up a Kenwood TM-V71A 144/440 mobile rig and am using it in the house on a power supply. Overall great rig!

The instant TX is engaged, the fan runs and continues to run for a few mins after TX, even on low (5W) and if the radio has just been turned on and is cool to the touch.

Is this normal behavior? I was hoping for a thermostatically controlled fan that only came on when the rig got hot.

Thanks,
Matt
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:20:40 AM »

I don't own that particular rig but, the first thing, I would check is the owner's manual. It could be a simple  menu setting that needs to be changed. If it's not that, then I would
make sure there is plenty of air flow around the rig.
 Other than that, maybe someone who owns the radio will post a better solution.
Good luck,
james
WD5GWY
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »

This specific model Kenwood has a very small heat sink, and that assumes you can call it a heat sink. The fan is designed to start up as soon as you transmit. It runs afterwards for s specific time period. As the heat sink gets warmer, the length of time the fan runs elongates. If you're a motor mouth, that might be as long as 10 minutes. Just wait, however, when the over temperature setting is exceeded, and the fan runs at full speed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: