Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-PW1  (Read 3960 times)
VK2YN

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

Hey all,

Recently purchased an IC7600 and now have interfaced to an IC-PW1, easy set up, band switching, and great reports on the signal.
dont see much on this amplifier here.....

be good to see some other user comments..

regards,

Derek VK2YN
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:51:48 AM »

Hi Derek,

I have had a PRO3 & PW1 for 4 years. Great combination. No trouble at all. I use the remote head with the amp in a closet near operating desk. Can't even hear the PW1.

I am sure you will love your IC7600 & PW1 combination.

Wayne
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »

OK get this... I am a member of ARES and belong to our city's EOC.  A couple of years ago when the Homeland security act appropriated funds for local municipalities to buy equipment using frderal funds for emergency communications our EOC director (not a ham at the time) called up HRO and ordered up a Icom 7800 and a PW-1.  The 2 of them sit there day after day not being used.  Once a month when we have meetings we turn them on and listen around.  Shut them off and go home.  They sit unused for another month.  None of the members really know how to use the radio because it has so many bells and whistles.  The "norm" radio recommended by ARES for EOC use is the ICOM 718.  The 718 is a radio that has a bare minimum of bells and whistles and almost any half witted ham can operate one.  What a waste huh?
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »

OK get this... I am a member of ARES and belong to our city's EOC.  A couple of years ago when the Homeland security act appropriated funds for local municipalities to buy equipment using frderal funds for emergency communications our EOC director (not a ham at the time) called up HRO and ordered up a Icom 7800 and a PW-1.  The 2 of them sit there day after day not being used.  Once a month when we have meetings we turn them on and listen around.  Shut them off and go home.  They sit unused for another month.  None of the members really know how to use the radio because it has so many bells and whistles.  The "norm" radio recommended by ARES for EOC use is the ICOM 718.  The 718 is a radio that has a bare minimum of bells and whistles and almost any half witted ham can operate one.  What a waste huh?

It warms my heart to hear how our federal funds are being used these days.  Maybe you can sell the 7800 and PW-1 and buy a couple of dozen more 718s.

I have had a Pro III and PW-1 combo for about five years.  Now, my Pro III and PW-1 get about the same attention as your EOC radios -- but, in my case, it was not federal funds, it was my funds.  However, since I graduated to my Elecraft K3 and since I am better then 90 percent CW (never have needed an amp so far) I have very little use for the Pro III and PW-1.  I am not selling, at least not now, since I don't need the money and they make nice backup rigs.

73, phil, K7PEH
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »

I have a IC-756 Pro III and IC-PW1.  Control the rig with HRD using a microHam Digikeyer II for the rig and through the CI-V Aux connection the IC-PW1.  Works just terrific.  Like having a fully automated 1 KW rig.  Got rid of the pesky buss collision issue.

With the head remoted and the cube under the desk you just can't hear it.  Just the needles wiggling and the lights dimming:~)

Looks like a brick, built like a brick, works like a dream. 
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »

Only one problem , cost a fortune to fix.... I have seen at least 8 or 10 that came thru with bad power supplies and WOW , what a mother to fix.... $1500 - $3000
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »

I have the same radio and amp as you do.  My pw1 is an older version where they had problems with the low voltage power supply board.  A power resistor on the circuit board was mounted too close to the board and eventually the heat would case the trace on the board to open.  This is well documented if you go to eham reviews on the amp.  As you probably know when you leave the amp plugged in the wall outlet the low voltage power supply is on all the time...not a good thing...therefore I unplug mine when I'm not using it to avoid potential problems including voltage spikes coming down your power line that could wipe out the switching supply.  For those that are unaware of the problem with the low voltage power supply, if the amp fails Icom will charge you for the entire power supply (low and high voltage) for the tune of about $3K.  You cannot buy just the low voltage power supply from Icom because the entire supply is made by someone other than Icom.
VK2YN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »

Few months in now, and working great. Interfaces with rig with no issues, whilst rig interfaces with HRD.

Unit under table, head on top of rig...Happy so far.

Derek VK2YN Grin
WA7VTD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »

I wish I had experienced the good luck you all had with your PW-1s. Mine was a lemon, I guess. Constantly going into protection fault for imbalanced output, translating to a final opening up. Also, on both the IC-4KL and the PW-1, there are some unfortunate power supply issues and there is not an easy fix when they suddenly go south. It's too bad, because the 4KL is a dream to operate and the PW-1 likewise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: