Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Considering Consolidating TV Spectrum To Make Room For WiFi  (Read 2019 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »

Click here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/22/business/media/22spectrum.html

And here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/22/business/media/22spectrumside.html

Basic concept is to re-shuffle the broadcast TV allocations for a tighter fit and free up spectrum for more broadband access. Ironic in a sense, given that digital can do more in less space than analogue, but the perceived need for digital spectrum has long ago outpaced the efficiency gains from the DTV conversion. Who knew the need to surf YouTube and tweet simultaneously would become a 24/7 obsession?

In any case, there will be some operations that cash out... Like the 24/7 shop at home and religious channels that are essentially a satellite dish plugged into a transmitter. Or maybe not. For all I know they make more money than I can imagine.

BTW: Steve Largent used to be my Congressman. Had an excellent reputation playing college football and would probably still be in Congress had he worn a helmet more often...................  Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »

Heard something about that on 'TWIT'....  From the 70cm 'threat', I'm guessing the only 'safe' spectrum we have is the HF bands... and the low ones at that!

TNX FER INFO....

dm
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »

Heard something about that on 'TWIT'....  From the 70cm 'threat', I'm guessing the only 'safe' spectrum we have is the HF bands... and the low ones at that!

TNX FER INFO....

dm

Concurred, but all bands are in danger from not only dis-use, but also abuse.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »

If greed for the almighty dollar comes under misuse and abuse, I would concur with that statement. 

Reality is that the "misuse/abuse" will only be used as a seemingly plausible reason for taking the allocated spectrum away.  And selling it. 

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 05:49:50 AM »

Remember that the cellphone industry has developed the attitude that all spectrum between 400 MHz and 1000 GHz is theirs by right, and any other user is there on sufferance....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 06:08:03 AM »

Well cell phones did put a big dent in 2m and 440 traffic.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »

And increased profits for cellphone companies......
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »

And increased profits for cellphone companies......

That goes without saying. I am not sure if anyone 10 or 15 years ago foresaw how much cell phone usage was going to explode and it is still growing.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »

There were those in the industry who not only foresaw cellphone usage, but had the demographics in hand. 

Cellphones aren't the problem, though. 

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 11:32:58 PM »

The interesting point is how much cellphone communication is necessary or even very useful?

'Hello, I'm just calling to let you know I'm on a train. We'll have to get together for a drink sometime.'

Or the hundreds of texts that teenagers send....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: