Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some 817ND Impressions  (Read 4591 times)
SCARPAD

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »

Received My 817 overall a very sturdy rig, have'nt had too much time to play with it, my only dissapointment is in the battery area. I knew that the battery had to stay in the unit to be charged. But i bought another battery figuring I could swap them out. Problem is the plug is so tiny and frail that I know constant unplugging would lead to some unpleasant breakage. it's too bad another connection system could not have been figured out. I guess I'll sell the extra battery, and maybe look into getting a small external 12volt cell I could carry with me.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »

Good idea. That's the way I went, so great minds think alike. Smiley

I got a 12v 7.5ah gel cell. It was reasonably cheap, and will run your radio for a few hours anyway. The 817 does eat batteries, even on receive. My battery isn't very big or heavy.

-- Tom
SCARPAD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »

Tom, the power supply adapter that came with the rig I ended up putting Anderson Connectors on for my rigrunner when I use it in the shack. Is there another source of getting another adapter or will I have to make one myself.
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »

SCARPAD,  are you talking about the power cord (EDC-6) or the power supply (NC-72B)?  Both are available at various ham radio stores. I know Universal Radio lists them.  Radio Shack sells a compatible power connector if you want to make your own cord.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »

Has anyone tried the LiPO RC batteries on an '817? A couple of these: http://www.xheli.com/83p-5000mah-4s1p-148-20c.html would give you 10 AH of life for $100, which sounds like a lot until you realize that they weigh about 1/3 of what an AGM or GelCell of similar capacity.

But a 12-v GelCell of similar run-time would actually need to be about a 15aH battery because the 12-v batteries are rated down to 10.5 v whereas the LiPO batteries are rated down to 12 v. This might not be as big of a deal for the 817 as it is for 12-v radios like the '857 which switches off below 11-v so it wouldn't be able to use the entire rated capacity of the battery (without a booster).

Anyway, the LiPO batteries seem like a natural fit for something like the 817 in that they are light and high capacity, so I've wondered if anyone has ever tried them.
K4RKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »

I use LiPO RC Heli batteries. I got them off ebay, a pair of 12.1v 4000 mAh 15c and a 3 cell balanced charger for about $60. I put power poles on the output side.

1 of them powered the FT-817ND for a whole camping weekend, about 8 hours RX and 90 minutes TX @ 5 watts. We were in a canoe the rest of the time with a VX-8R of course. You can use them on the VX-8R as well cause it is the same power plug.

What is really cool is that when the LiPO gets low on volts the FT-817 auto switches to the internal battery, so you cannot drain the LiPO to far. While on internal swap out for the other LiPO and the radio is never off.

2 of them are smaller and half the weight of a 7.5 Ah 12v SLA.

I am about to put 2 14.4v 4500 mAh 20c RC Heli batteries into my FT-897. Not sure yet if I am going to hook them up like *real* 897 batteries and limit myself to 20 watts or route them to the external power port and go crazy!

I pretty much done with SLA type batteries. Now for a solar charger...

Send email to my ARRL address and I will send you a couple pictures.

Bryan
K4RKR
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 06:04:45 AM »

I found that I operate always off an external 12 vdc source, so I just removed the internal battery.  Don't miss it at all and can always install if there would be a need.  I use a SLA type for potable or the car cig hole.  Anyway you go, it's a sweet transceiver, it doesn't do anything great, but does most things pretty good including 60 meters and vhf, uhf.  Just wish it covered 222mhz and the WX freqs.  7 years old and never even one glitch or problem.  cheers scott.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 06:33:15 AM »

These would have a peak voltage of 16.8V. The specifications are usually 13.8+=10% so max 15.2V. I wonder whether feeding up to 16.8V  could cause  any damage. Definitely the extra voltage would produce extra heat
Ignacy, NO9E 

I am about to put 2 14.4v 4500 mAh 20c RC Heli batteries into my FT-897. Not sure yet if I am going to hook them up like *real* 897 batteries and limit myself to 20 watts or route them to the external power port and go crazy!

Bryan
K4RKR

KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:56 AM »

Tom, the power supply adapter that came with the rig I ended up putting Anderson Connectors on for my rigrunner when I use it in the shack. Is there another source of getting another adapter or will I have to make one myself.

Sorry to be late in responding, but I didn't notice the reply, and I don't get alerts when someone replies to a thread I'm in.

I put Power Poles on mine, too, and I also put them on the power supplies and the batteries. So, I don't think that wiring up your own power cable is too difficult.

Thanks for reminding me to buy another batch of Power Poles.

-- Tom
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »

If you are considering Li batteries the way to go these days is with the LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries. They have a slightly lower voltage and higher energy density (Wh/kg) than LiPO. A four-cell pack is nominally 12.8V, perfect for running radios. In fact, they can be used anywhere you would use a 12V lead-acid battery. The charging regimen is almost identical to lead-acid as well.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: