Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad News...  (Read 1208 times)
NI3K

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »

From the ARRL website...

James McLaughlin, WA2EWE/T6AF, Killed By Afghan Pilot
TAGS: afghanistan, arrl, operations room, QSOs, rtty
04/27/2011

James McLaughlin, WA2EWE/T6AF, was one of several killed in Kabul, Afghanistan on Wednesday, April 27. News sources say that eight American troops and a US contractor died Wednesday after an Afghan military pilot opened fire during a meeting in an operations room of the Afghan Air Corps at the Kabul airport -- the deadliest episode to date of an Afghan turning against his coalition partners, officials with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISF) in Afghanistan said.

Licensed since 1972, McLaughlin was a career US military officer. Bob Magnani, K6QXY, tiold the ARRL that McLaughlin was just in the US a week ago, visiting his family. His son Adam, KD6POE, works for me. He told me that his dad had been in Afghanistan and Iraq many times over the past few years, most currently serving as a flight instructor.” McLaughlin posted on his qrz.com page that “almost every day, I operate at around 1230 - 1430 UTC. Sometimes I am QRV until around 1500 UTC.” As of March 26, 2011, he had logged 4359 QSOs, most of them on RTTY and PSK.  -- Thanks to Russ Bentson, K6KLY, CNN and Fox News for the information
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:07:05 AM »

When I heard the news that a American contractor had been killed along with eight service members in Afghanistan I actually thought about Jim for a moment...I was truly saddened when I brought up the ARRL web page yesterday.

I worked Jim back in November 2010 on for an all time new one on RTTY and we began a series of e-mail conversations over the next few weeks.  Jim was kind enough to send me one of the very few paper QSLs he dispatched.  Jim bought his new IC-7600 based on my experience with the new rig.  His final note in late January described how much he was enjoying his new radio.  This is truly a sad day....I've lost a good friend and comrade in arms.

See you on the high ground Jim.

Dino Papas KL0S
Colonel U.S. Army, Retired
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:36:47 AM »

Scott:

Thank you for posting this.  I saw a brief message on cluster last night, but wasn't sure if it were true.  I immediately went to his qrz.com page after seeing the spot.  I am very saddend that this news is true....We have the utmost respect for those serving this country.  It hurts when they perish on behalf of our freedoms......Thank you for your service James, and to all whom were lost.

Vince P
KA3NRX

W9YE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »

Very sad indeed.  Worked T6AF for a new RTTY DXCC back in February of this year.  Jim confirmed almost immediately via LOTW which was very courteous.  Was just perusing his QRZ.com profile earlier this week to see what he was running.  Condolences to his family and friends.  Thank you for dedication and service.  73 OM de Gavin W9YE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: