Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laird Technologies Antenna  (Read 8597 times)
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »

Greetings everyone,

Would this Laid Technologies antenna pair well with an FT-7900R? My first purchased and only radio was stolen about a month ago and I've decided to use that as a reason to just go ahead and get a mobile. I want to gather everything first though so I can get everything delivered at the same time, makes sense right? Anyways, here is that link: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_192_466&products_id=4286

Let me know what you guys think.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:14:03 AM »

Go online ot a place like Ham Radio Outlet, and purchase a Larsen NMO-2/70.  You'll get many years of service out of it.  This is an NMO mount antenna as is the one that you referenced.  Are you prepared to to make the required 3/4" hole to install the mount?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »

Ditto!

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »

My 270 is on its third vehicle (something over 250,000 miles) and has suffered hundreds of hits against very low trees, garage doors, overhead beams in commercial parking garages, and it works just as good as it did now on the first vehicle.

Any other dual-band antenna is a waste of money, IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:16:47 AM by W3LK » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »

Go online ot a place like Ham Radio Outlet, and purchase a Larsen NMO-2/70.  You'll get many years of service out of it.  This is an NMO mount antenna as is the one that you referenced.  Are you prepared to to make the required 3/4" hole to install the mount?
I know of the Larsen and I will probably end up purchasing one. I saw Laird Technologies however and was under the impression that they were of exceptional quality just like Larsen and the fact that they are used in rugged applications like on law enforcement vehicles (not that Larsen isn't either) I figure they'd be just as rugged as any other antenna, but that's neither here nor there. Really just looking for anyone with experience with it, I'll take your advice into consideration. Thanks for the input!

My 270 is on its third vehicle (something over 250,000 miles) and has suffered hundreds of hits against very low trees, garage doors, overhead beams in commercial parking garages, and it works just as good as it did now on the first vehicle.

Any other dual-band antenna is a waste of money, IMHO.

That's a really long time, does the Larsen come with a spring attachment so it moves freely if it does get knocked around? Thanks for the input!

Go online ot a place like Ham Radio Outlet, and purchase a Larsen NMO-2/70.  You'll get many years of service out of it.  This is an NMO mount antenna as is the one that you referenced.  Are you prepared to to make the required 3/4" hole to install the mount?

Thanks for the input, I know about Ham Radio Outlet. I'm not sure about the 3/4" I haven't even purchased the mobile yet, just trying to get everything rounded up so I don't have any lose ends when I get ready to do the install, one step at a time : ) I will probably end up renting a drill or borrowing one from a friend, I can Google around for install instructions I know K0BG has a nice website for that, I would be appreciative if anyone had a recommended link I check out for that specific step of installation however!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:48:54 PM by KJ4QYM » Logged
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:05:54 PM »

The 270 have an open loading coil in the middle of the whip. There is no spring on the base. I have yet to see the need for one.

I have no experience with Laird, they may well be a good antenna. That said, the one you referenced covers (according to the hype) far more than 2m/70cm. In addition the 2m gain is essentially unity (no gain) on 2m and about 3 dB or so on 70cm. Unless you have some compelling need to the additional frequency coverage, you are paying $30 more for an antenna with less gain than the Larsen.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

Laird makes a very nice, commercial quality antenna.  However, you will have to extensively cut and tune the radiator to get it work properly in the ham bands.  The Larsen will get you right in the ballpark with respect to frequency and its quality is unmatched.

To "do the hole", you'll need either the Antennex 3/4" hole saw, or preferably a .750" Greenlee chassis punch (not a knockout punch!).  The chassis punch makes the most perfect hole possible with sharp, clean edges.  If you're in the planning phase now, work on getting the punch or saw in hand so you'll be ready to do the deed.  Nothing better than to pop a 3/4" hole in a day old vehicle!
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »

The 270 have an open loading coil in the middle of the whip. There is no spring on the base. I have yet to see the need for one.

I have no experience with Laird, they may well be a good antenna. That said, the one you referenced covers (according to the hype) far more than 2m/70cm. In addition the 2m gain is essentially unity (no gain) on 2m and about 3 dB or so on 70cm. Unless you have some compelling need to the additional frequency coverage, you are paying $30 more for an antenna with less gain than the Larsen.
I see, that's a good point, however, I was under the assumption that I would need that in order to take advantage of the wide receiving feature of the 7900R. Or will the 2/70 Larsen pick all of that up as well?

Laird makes a very nice, commercial quality antenna.  However, you will have to extensively cut and tune the radiator to get it work properly in the ham bands.  The Larsen will get you right in the ballpark with respect to frequency and its quality is unmatched.

To "do the hole", you'll need either the Antennex 3/4" hole saw, or preferably a .750" Greenlee chassis punch (not a knockout punch!).  The chassis punch makes the most perfect hole possible with sharp, clean edges.  If you're in the planning phase now, work on getting the punch or saw in hand so you'll be ready to do the deed.  Nothing better than to pop a 3/4" hole in a day old vehicle!

I see, that's an extra hassle I don't want to deal with and one more thing I would have to look up, I'll definitely go with the Larsen antenna then. I'm probably also going to be installing a CB radio side by side with the 7900R, does Larsen make any CB antennas? Also will it be necessary to have some sort of distance between the antenna's so they don't interfere with each other? 

Thanks again for the help guys!
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »

I'm probably also going to be installing a CB radio side by side with the 7900R, does Larsen make any CB antennas? Also will it be necessary to have some sort of distance between the antenna's so they don't interfere with each other? 

Thanks again for the help guys!

Larsen used to have a Model Number: NMO27 27-30 mhz antenna.  However, a two-way shop will have one for sale because they install them in police and state DOT vehicles.

On my pickup the CB antenna is center rear of the cab roof and 1/4 wave 2M whip is about 19" off to the right of the CB antenna.  I have seen antennas mounted in-line also.  There will be little interference as you will not use each at the same time and the radios are of different bands.  My truck in Alaska (I drove a semi for Carlile Transportation of Ice Road Trucker fame) had three radios (VHF, UHF, and CB) never had a bit of problem.

Mike
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »

Larsen still lists the NMO27 in its catalogue so presumably it's available new.  I bought mine ten years ago and it works fine on 11M.

I'll third (fourth?) the NMO270.  Get the one with the black whip and open centre coil.  It's a lot more robust than the chrome whip with closed coil.

As far as I'm concerned there's no need for a shock spring on the NMO270.  The whip itself is quite flexible.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »

Hello, I have had a Laird 2 meter antenna with the magnetic mount for a few years now. I use it mobile with my Wouxun HT. It works fine and I have had no mechanical problems. The whip is very inexpensive so if some day I damage it. it can be replaced cheaply. The magnetic mount is expensive, but does an excellent job of holding the antenna to the car without drilling holes in it. I put a thin piece of felt on the base to keep from scratching the car finish. I can talk to anything I can hear with my 5 watt HT.

Just my opinion, I have no experience with the Larsen, but heard they are excellent. Check the Eham Reviews for excellent information on both antennas.

73s
Barry K2OWK 
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »

Antenex products were purchased by Laird Technologies.  They remain a quality product.  That being said,  I would concur with the others;  the Larson 2/440  antenna would be a prime choice.

Ed   K7AAT
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 04:44:10 AM »

So, I decided to update this thread instead of making an entirely new thread altogether. I've changed my mind on the rig I'm going to be purchasing and will be getting an FT-2900R instead. Will the 2/70 Larsen still work for this? They are longer than I want, can I step down to a 1/4 wave and still be ok? I was looking at the NMOQSPECB from Larsen (this would be great as these are cheaper and lower profile).

Thanks for any input guys.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »

The FT2900R is 2 meters only.  If height is a problem for you, you can install the Larsen NMOQSPECB quarter wave whip and it will work just fine.  The alternative is to stay with your original transceiver, and install two quarter wave whips and a small diplexer which splits the output from the transceiver to each antenna.  Something like the Comet CF-416A diplexer would work great and you'd still have 2 band capability.  You'll just need to punch two holes.
KJ4QYM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 08:45:52 AM »

The FT2900R is 2 meters only.  If height is a problem for you, you can install the Larsen NMOQSPECB quarter wave whip and it will work just fine.  The alternative is to stay with your original transceiver, and install two quarter wave whips and a small diplexer which splits the output from the transceiver to each antenna.  Something like the Comet CF-416A diplexer would work great and you'd still have 2 band capability.  You'll just need to punch two holes.

Hey thanks for the reply K3GM. I guess I should have elaborated in that the reason I changed my mind is that my budget really only allows me to spend about two hundred dollars so the 2M option and the 1/4 wave really cut down on costs, as it stands I will only be spending approximately one hundred and seventy three dollars altogether. Once I get everything I'm going to start a thread on installation suggestions. I'm ordering both items from Universal Radio. If anyone can find them any cheaper let me know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: