Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rf Power-why has this become a menu item?  (Read 4343 times)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »

Then the question is, does the POWER control adjust the drive level directly, or does it adjust
the level at which the ALC kicks in?

I like an analog drive control, as it allows me to bring up the power slowly to see how the rig,
antenna, tuner, etc. responds.  (And I expect to be able to turn the power down to virtually
zero, because sometimes I want to.)  Many ALC systems are subject to overshoot and related
quirks:  it's not bad for limiting my output power to a particular level to avoid overdriving the
finals, but a poor choice for operating a 100W radio at 5 watts output.
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »

My FT-950 has a RF power in the menu. I circumvented it by using HRD 5.0, where I can access RF power thru my laptop and reduce it in less than a second.

I too like having a dedicated rf power knob. Their is a workaround with the FT-950 that works for me. The C.S. button on the front of the rig can be programmed to access a menu function directly and I set it to access my rf power control. Although it would be nice to have a dedicated knob I can live with this minor inconvenience. I love the radio but if I ever upgrade rigs having a dedicated rf control is almost a must.
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 09:44:21 AM »

Encoders and pots are expensive.  Membrane switches are cheap.  Hams are cheap. 

End of story  Grin

I'm sort of kidding... adding a couple extra encoders to do things like that would not break the bank... they could still be programmable.

The Yaesu 857D has a programmable encoder, and RF power is one of the options.  The problem is there's only ONE encoder and I prefer to use it for quick frequency excursions.   Computer control of the rig can help with a lot of these issues, though a front panel RF power knob would be better for tuning up my amp.

The other problem with the programmable encoder functionality of the 857 is that you can't see the change in the value anywhere on the LCD, which makes this a pretty useless function if you ask me.

I guess if you like counting off detent stops then it would be appealing though... : )
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »

I'm with you Scott!
Got rid of (actually, gave it away...) an otherwise nice FT-950 for that very reason.
Plus, if I remember right, the menu on that radio would only allow adjustments in 5 watt steps.  Couldn't adjust it for the exact drive level "I" wanted for my amp.
73, Jim/K7UNZ

Jim K7UNZ,

Sadly, your memory has failed you on this one.
Sadly, I have moments like that myself. Hi Hi.

Yaesu's FT-950 can be adjusted in 1 Watt steps from 5 to 100 Watts.
At least, that's the way mine works.

Is it possible that you were unaware that Yaesu has provided a front-panel switch (labelled an "C.S" for "custom-switch") that can be dedicated to one of the 118 menu selections?
The simple directions for use are on the manual's pg 37.
So, if power adjustment is important to a user, that adjustment could be available simply by pressing that button.

73 Jerry KM3K
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 07:05:41 AM »

Hi Jerry, and thanks for the refresher on the power adjustment (hi).

Yeah, know about the "CS" thingie, and in fact had it programmed with the RF power menu item.  But, it still required too much button pushing to simply turn up/down the output when changing bands, adjusting the ATU, and then setting the amp power. 

ALL my current rigs have have front panel RF power knobs....to each his own, eh?

73, have fun!

Jim/K7UNZ
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: