Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a HF rig at a second location  (Read 626 times)
W7ETA

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »

I am considering selling some of my Drake gear, TR4C and a C-line and then using those funds to buy a used rig for a second location back East.

My mane interest is a rig 30 and 40; getting on 80 would be nice.  But for this initial set up I plan on using one vert for 30 and 40.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for a rig with at least cascaded selectable filter, dual VFO for split.  A dual receiver would be ideal.  It's been many years since I followed what rigs are available.  I currently use a TS950S for pile ups, C-line and a TR4C just for FUN.

I welcome any rig suggestions that will fit my “needs”.

Best from Tucson
Bob
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »

They're going to want to know more about your operating habits and budget, just saying.

73, Geoff
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »

All digital rigs manufactured in the past 25+ years have dual VFOs, even the little mobile rigs have this.

But a "second receiver" puts you into another class.

You might like the Ten Tec ORION-II.  It's affordably priced for the excellent feature set it has, and has the second receiver.  Stuff in the "under $3000" price range doesn't -- at least, not any I can think of.

If you don't mind used gear, the TS-950SDX is a great rig and has a second receiver but of course it's 20 year old technology.  Still heavily desired and after all this time they sell for a lot of money.

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:20:39 PM »

Initially I was hoping to find another TS950S or SD or SDX figuring their prices would be close to what I'd get from rig sales.  But, it seems as if, as you mentioned, demand is high for those used units.

I don't remember what the dual receivers rigs of the TS950 era--hoping one of those have a lower price than the TS950.

If dual receiver rigs prices are out of my budget for a rig for a second location, I fall back to cascaded filters and dual VFOs.
There are only two countries that I would really "need" a dual receiver for.  In all probability, if they are ever activated, I would probably have FUN hunting for them on 30 meters.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: