Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xrayed Damage?  (Read 3913 times)
N3OBY

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:23:14 AM »

I had to travel to Moline Illinois from Philadelphia Pa. to pick up a truck for work and drive it back. I like to have a CB radio when I am on the highway( not too many truckers use 2 meter radios, always found a CB is the best to get road info). I brought a CB with me on my carry on. I was stopped and the radio was Xrayed twice. When I got to Moline and installed the radio in the truck I had no receive. Thought it may be an antenna issue, bought another antenna. Still it would not receive. I think the switching transistor for the transmit and receive got fried by the xray. I sent it to a radio shop for repair. Contacted the TSA and they sent me a claim form for damages.

I have brought my Kenwood TS50 with me on many trips with no problems going through the Xray machine. I know the CB is a cheaper design and maybe they use cheaper electronic parts?

Has anyone else had electronic equipment damaged from the carry on xray machine at the airport?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »

The first question is, did you check the radio BEFORE you left?

There is almost no chance that an airport Xray machine would damage a CB radio.

N3OBY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »

aaahhh "YES" before going on any trip I check out what every I'm bringing. Nothing worse than being half way around the world (or a few states away) and not having your equipment work.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »

Many many years ago I had a digital camera ruined in a airport x-ray but machines are lower dosage now and I think most of the die traces are so small today that very little energy is transferred to then in a Xray now.  Back then I talked them out of X-raying my HT's

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »

I have had radios and cameras go through the X-Ray machines for the last 20 years and haven't had a problem. If the radio went through just laying on the rollers it is possible static from the rollers/motors might have done something.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:49 PM »

All you can say about Xrays is "maybe".  Besides, there are far more likely reasons for a failure, such as simple mechanical vibration or impact to consider here. 

Assuming that the fault lies in a switching transistor isn't worth much either, unless and until the radio is put on the test bench and the fault found, it could be due to just about anything. 

N3OBY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:27:57 AM »

All you can say about Xrays is "maybe".  Besides, there are far more likely reasons for a failure, such as simple mechanical vibration or impact to consider here. 

Assuming that the fault lies in a switching transistor isn't worth much either, unless and until the radio is put on the test bench and the fault found, it could be due to just about anything. 

It was a small plane, so at the last moment they took my carry on bag and put it in with the check baggage. Last time I had that happen my Kenwood TS50 had the knobs broken. But I checked the radio over and did not see any physical damage. Oh well going to a ham fest today they are always cheap to buy see if I can find another one.
Tha
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »

I shipped two pieces of network equipment via FedEx from Los Angeles to Washington DC recently.  Both pieces were working perfectly when they shipped and were dead on arrival.  I really think that some sort of new inspection machine at the airport killed them both in one shot.

Jim, ND6P
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »

I read all of the horror stories about airport Xray machines, but no one ever mentions what the fix was. I've owned radios that worked perfectly. The next time I turned them on, nada! Maybe cosmic rays got it, do you suppose? The truth is, coincidences happen, but when we jump to a conclusion not necessarily supported by facts, everyone losses.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »

I have yet to have ANYTHING, cameras, radios, computers, film damaged by going through X-ray machines. This includes in the US, several foreign countries and several cruise ships - and I have been flying several times a year for the last 20 years. The last time was three weeks ago  - trip to and from Hawai'i.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

I fly at least twice a week and have never had any X-ray damage to my laptop, iPhone, or other electronics.

Matt - KF7GFL
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »

I'm in the "I doubt it" camp on this one. Unless you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd suspect a mechanical problem over something from the x-ray machines. Something like a loose connector, cold solder joint, broken wire, etc.

I've carried cameras, film (back when they still used it Smiley ), radios, etc. for years on domestic and overseas airlines and have yet to have an airline-induced equipment failure.

When I was an electronics tech, before we'd power anything up after it was shipped, we'd always take off the covers, check the connectors, look for broken wires, re-seat all the circuit boards, etc. Even when things are packed for shipment, stuff happens whether it's commercial equipment or a cheap-o CB.

I'm thinking that this falls into the "stuff happens" category.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »

Vibration from the aircraft causes more equipment malfunctions than the X-Ray machine does.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »

I agree Lon. Some years ago, I remember working on a Mocom 70, that had just died suddenly. Turns out, one of the power supply caps had vibrated long enough to snap one of the leads. When I pulled on it, the other broke rather easily. That's when I learned that hot glue works wonders for eliminating such things!

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »

Gee, I wonder if the GO-rillas who toss the baggage can generate 10 G's with every toss? 

Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: