Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: running a Vibroplex Bug and Paddle at will ????  (Read 5203 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »

...I run a Vibroplex Bug exclusively...at times I would like to operate my Bencher paddle/keyer...I have never been able to mix and shift between the bug and the paddle at will...seems I always start "speaking in tongues" if I try to mix the two...does anyone have success with using both bug and paddles, and if so (besides being a super-hero) what is the formula for success HuhHuh thanx Ron K0XY
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »

I think that most will tell you to pick one or the other and stick with just that one. 

In my view, that would be the paddles. 

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »

Lately I've been using a single level paddle exclusively and my bug sending is suffering (tried it today). But when I'm practiced up on the bug I can go back and forth with occasional mistakes.

John, K3WWP, can switch back and forth no problem, and he only started using a bug in the last year or so. I've QSO'd with him where he has switched between a bug, paddle and straight key and it's pretty hard to tell the difference and he made no mistakes.

73, Geoff

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »

I do it, but whether it is done "successfully" or not is in the ear of the beholder. I was a paddle-only guy for 30 years and recently switched to bugs.

paul
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »

I use a paddle and straight key with my left hand and a bug with my right and my brain seems to be able to keep it all straight.  I was a dual paddle user for about 20 years (left handed) and after much off-air practice with a CPO I was able to develop sufficient proficiency with my right hand to use a bug on the air.  I have found that using a bug
requires a lot less fine motor skills than a dual paddle so using my "wrong" hand to send with a bug wasn't too
bad.

Michael VE3WMB / VA2NB 

...I run a Vibroplex Bug exclusively...at times I would like to operate my Bencher paddle/keyer...I have never been able to mix and shift between the bug and the paddle at will...seems I always start "speaking in tongues" if I try to mix the two...does anyone have success with using both bug and paddles, and if so (besides being a super-hero) what is the formula for success HuhHuh thanx Ron K0XY
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:55:27 AM »

...interesting...I have heard of left hand paddle and right hand bug operation working reasonably well (for a right handed person)...I might give that a try...thanx
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

I've got a Vibroplex bug, a Junkers straight key, and a Vibroplex iambic paddle all hooked together on my desk. The first time I tried going directly from the keyer to the bug my "dahs" were all haywire.  After a while, though, it became second nature, sort of.  Sometimes, I switch from one device to another during a QSO. 

With practice, you can make the same-sounding code from either key.

Bill in Pasadena, NK6Q
K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:59:16 AM »

Agreed, the only solution is practice.

I have the paddle and bug right next to each other. Each has its time and place, and each gets used a lot.

I often have to switch from the paddle to the bug just because the XYL enters the shack. The small "click" the paddles make (brass on brass, you want silence?) absolutely drives her bonkers. The bug, which doesn't make that kind of sound, passes her Litmus test.

The trick is making sure the bug hasn't gone out of adjustment. A 52 year-old Champion can sometimes do that if you look at it funny.

No, my bug sending doesn't sound exactly like my paddle sending -- and, unless the paddle is set to "bug speed," of course it can't, but it hasn't caused any complaints from the other stations, so it's a solution I can live with.

Bill
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:12:59 AM »

Some people (not everyone) have enough challenge sending good CW.  I try to be kind to my contacts and stick to what I can send the best with.   

Just hope that no one ever sends "QLF" to you ;-)

You won't find that in the ARRL list.  It means "Now try sending with your Left Foot Sad

Ken

K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »

...oh rah ! ...yes the left foot scenario is bothersome...so for the time being I'm sticking to the bug 1 thanx
PA7WWO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »

Hi All

I have a paddle and a Vibroplex next to eachother on my desk.
The Vibroplex is connected parallel to the PICO keyer at my FT450.
The on board keyer of the FT450 is switched off and I can switch between paddles and Bug as much as I like.
I sometimes just change over between 2 words, no problem at all.

And I am not a good CW keyer at all.
It took a few month even to get the Vibroplex working for me and now I just use it every now and then.
But the both of them are always connected parallel to the rig.
It was a big fight to get both of the keys working with my clumsy hands but just keep trying and trying and you will get there.

73 Jos
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:54:08 AM »

The short answer has already been given, practice.  It's a lot like driving a car with the steering wheels in the front and then a car with the steering wheels in the back (steering wheels are the ones touching the ground and that make your vehicle turn, not the one you have your hands on).  Some people can be 'good' at both, and some of us can't (without a lot more practice??).
Oh well, lot's of things I can't do anymore for whatever reason...
Paul
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 08:29:40 AM »

I decided to use a bug in the recent NAQCC sprint for the bonus multiplier and it took just a few minutes of practice to warm up after a few months away. Just do it.
K6EE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »

I found a simple solution for switching between bug and paddle - just use both hands.
I key the bug with the right and the paddle with the left. You can either invert dits and dahs on the paddle to make the switch to the left hand natural and easy. One can also learn to key a usually configurated paddle with the left, it takes one months of practice or so. I preferred to do the latter so that I can operate from other stations without hassle.

vy 73, Fritz, K6EE
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:27:38 PM by K6EE » Logged
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 07:46:52 AM »

...I think I'll give the right hand, left hand scenario a try...with the inverted dits and dahs for the paddle...I mean, if worse comes to worse, I can always just STOP using the paddle...thanx K0XY
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: