Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: running a Vibroplex Bug and Paddle at will ????  (Read 5204 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »

C'mon, it's not that hard to switch between the two! The major problem is the SUPER long dash when you go from paddle to bug (you forget to let go!). After 30 seconds you are back "speaking the old language". It's a brain thing, training your brain that each "language" is distinct.

paul
K6EE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »

K0XY:

Great. Good luck with it and please let us know how the two hand division works out for you.

But true, it is a brain thing, the sensory feedback is quite different for paddle versus bug and for many operators this is enough to mentally switch.

73, Fritz, K6EE

PS: For everyone interested in CW and how to improve at it, the so-far best book I know is
The Art & Skill of Radio Telegraphy by William G. Pierpont, ex N0HFF
It is online: http://www.qsl.net/n9bor/n0hff.htm
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:13:38 PM by K6EE » Logged
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:23:29 AM »

...well, I did try the right hand bug / left hand paddle scenario (with reverse dahs and dits) this weekend...and within 36 hours I was competant with the reverse left hand paddle...that was the good news...the bad news was that during DX chasing (fast and furious exchanges) the left hand keying scenario left me a bit in a state of "shell shock"... ...I'm certain with enough practice the "shell shock" would dissapear, but hey life is short !!!

...so, for now, I think I will stick to right-handed keying only with both the bug and the paddle...as the one gentlemen mentioned...it cant be that tough to change between bug and paddle and I'm certain that with 15 minutes of refresh training prior to qso's that one could move between bug and paddle...almost, almost at will

...one last note, when I first tried the LH Reverse Paddle I was completely incompetent...I could not send a single character, but with approx 4~5 hours of practice I could handle a "simulated" qso, LH Reverse...so it is doo-able, but certainley I suffered from the "shell shock" factor...maybe others would not

thanx for the comments, Ron K0XY
K6EE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »

K0XY:

Interesting. I cannot tell much how long it would have taken me to become DX-proof when using the left hand with the inverted paddle. With the regular paddle it clearly took me much longer than a weekend to become DX-proof with the left. But I also went through a phase when I functioned well when practicing but was still terrible when in qso.
Anyway, I hope you will end up finding a solution that suits you.

tnx es vy 73,
Fritz, K6EE

K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »

...well, its good to hear that someone else also had the 'shell shock" scenario with the left handed reverse (ok in practice but terrible during hi-speed qso's)...

...so, after I stopped the left handed (Reverse) project I decided to start the left handed (Normal) project and guess what Huh I could not send a single character in the "new" LH Normal mode !!! ...so, I guess I will have to relearn the LH Normal mode ...

...this has been more entertaining the the original experiments with Pavlov's Dog...these findings should be published in Psychology Today...thanx Ron K0XY
K6EE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:19:04 PM »

Ron:

My shell shock was after quite some practice with the left hand using the regular configuration, not the inversed. But I overcame it gradually and things worked out on the band.

I believe you that it caused confusion to switch with the left from inversed to regular configuration: Unlearning is harder than learning anew. Just continue with the practicing LH in regular configuration, it takes time but you will be fine and it is big fun being able to use both hands.

73, Fritz, K6EE
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »

...thanx for the advise ! ...what I have now discovered after running the last 10~15 years with a bug is that sending with a smooth paddle key is sooooooo much easier and relaxed then sending with a bug...so the latest is that I am now using the paddle RHNormal...Period ! ...but I will eventualy work the LHNormal practice back into the scheme...thanx
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: