Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a PC Mic with an Audio Mixer  (Read 2995 times)
K9BAY

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »

I have a audio mixer.  Is the Mic input on a typical mixer compatible with a PC microphone? I can plug a MP3 player and it plays fine through the mic input on the mixer, but the PC microphone doesn't work at all.  The mixer has a Aux input that I will use for the MP3 playback (which according to the manual, that is what it is designed for.    I get grounding feedback through the PC laptop as I am testing and it gets worse when I move the level of the mic up using the PC Mic. There are also two Aux inputs via RCA jacks on the mixer (MP3 player as a source). I assume plugging a microphone to an y cable (1/8 mini to RCA) to the Aux isn't going to work either.

There are some specs included with the mixer.  Let me know what input sensitivity, input overload etc, would impact a PC Mic working via the Mic input on an Audiomixer.

What would make a PC Microphone not compatible with a mixer input (impedance mismatch, etc)?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Barry
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »

What would make a PC Microphone not compatible with a mixer input (impedance mismatch, etc)?

"PC microphones" using a mini-stereo jack, need 5V power (supplied by the soundcard mic jack -hence the term "PC Microphone"

K9BAY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Someone recommended this article, so I thought I would pass it along.  It should be a pretty simple circuit to build.

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: