Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fT-857d Selector Knob Malfunction  (Read 9874 times)
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »

Ok, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes.

Today I experienced a very odd malfunction with my 857D while tuning with the selector knob.

I was moving up the dial and then back down and realized that the frequency wasn't keeping up at times wouldn't move despite slowly turning the selector knob a couple of stops.

This happened when I first turned on the radio and during normal ops, it was as if the knob was "slipping" for lack of a better word.

This soon went away and things were normal, but then it came back again.

Didn't matter what band, but I did notice it most prone to happen while moving own the dial.

At one point, I watched as I turned the knob a couple clicks and the frequency also moved, but then when I removed my hand, like a ghost in the machine, the frequency readout ticked up 1khz, as if I had turned the knob.

I hope all this can be easily fixed with either a system restore, or, the selector knob tightening mod.

The knob does feel rather loose and slightly wobbly.

I will try and wobble the knob an see if this happens again.

I didn't have time to really look into this issue, since I was packing up my radio gear when I first noticed it.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this please feel free to jump in.

I wonder if there is some kind of optical sensor that is having issues?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:34:55 PM by KB1VCZ » Logged
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:29:06 AM »

Well, I have done some research and found other owners with this exact issue.

This is from a review here on eHam by KI4KVS:

"The "selector" (aka "tuning") has developed a "skip" in it - the display doesn't always move the amount it should (not just on frequency, but also in the menus). There's probably some dust in the "counter wheel" assembly, but it's "sealed" against non-Yaesu intrusion."

I also found mention of this on the Yahoo users group.

I'm going to call Yaesu and see what they say.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:06:58 AM »

The fact that tuning knob feels sloppy is not good. I fear you are going to require servicing and replacement of it. Is it a new radio or did you get it used?

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »

This is not the tuning knob.

It is the select knob, which by all accounts is designed to have a bit of play and wobbliness to it.

The radio is only 3 months old.

I tried to replicate the issue again and I wasn't able to, so who knows, I will just monitor it and see if it persists.

I have read that turning the knob too fast can "confuse" the optical encoder, however, I wasn't spinning it very quickly.

I have 2 posts on the Yahoo board and one reviewer here that have mentioned this issue.

After calling Yaesu they hadn't heard of this problem.

I'm still very early in the warranty cycle, so if it appears again, I'll think about boxing it up.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »

I meant encoder knob. I did not think it was main tuning encoder. The fact that is is a bit sloppy and intermittent in errors at 3 months old suggests that there is indeed a problem. I would not wait, I would return it know for repair. Better by your choice on timing than waiting to a point when it is unusable and fails at wrong time. It is not going to get better.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »

Well, after 3 hours of operating time since this occurred, I have yet to to replicate the problem.

Go figure!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »

Those intermittent "gremlins" in hardware can be very unpredictable.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »

I had a peculiar thing happen with my `857 recently. The radio was on I was tuning around and had the r.i.t. on but it was cleared. Suddenly the r.i.t. readout showed an offset of exactly 1.6 khz. Hmm,that`s strange. I cleared the setting and went back to tuning around the band. Again the r.i.t. showed an offset of 1.6 khz. higher. Again I cleared it. Went back to tuning around with no problems. I haven`t noticed any other problems with it. At the time the rig had not been on long,so maybe some component wasn`t stabilized as far as temperature if that has any affect on it. The multifunction knob is wobbley but that hasn`t caused any problems with frequency readout that I know of................................ Undecided
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »

Those intermittent "gremlins" in hardware can be very unpredictable.

Well, the only thing I can think of right now is that since this knob is a rotating pot and a push on/off "button", that perhaps something hadn't quite seated itself properly and that simply pushing the button in and out a few times rectified the problem.

And as a point of clarification, I should be more careful with my terminology.

My button doesn't wobble, there is just play in the button, which is normal and by design.

A wobble would be caused by a bent shaft, and you would notice it while turning.

I will keep and eye on things and see if the "ghost" in my FT-857 returns!!

As for the 1.6khz bug I think I might have seen something similar on the Yahoo forum, but I can't quite remeber the specifics.
KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »

What happens when you use the same control to step through your FM repeater memories?  On my older '857, I have an occasional problem with the control double-stepping.  That is, as I turn it the memories will skip through to one further down the memory stack.  Also, when tuning at 1kh step in HF mode, I also note that it will step multiple 1khz steps while I only feel a single detent on the control. 

I note this is likely an optical control and could be the root of the problem.  The shaft on mine, too, is a bit wobbly.  This isn't surprising since it also doubles as a push-switch as well.

I wonder, though, if there's really a problem with the control or elsewhere down the circuit.  I'm suspecting the optical control......still it hasn't been annoying enough to mess with it as my radio is well out of warranty at this point.  Its been a solid radio, too.

Cheers,

David
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »

What happens when you use the same control to step through your FM repeater memories?  On my older '857, I have an occasional problem with the control double-stepping.  That is, as I turn it the memories will skip through to one further down the memory stack.  Also, when tuning at 1kh step in HF mode, I also note that it will step multiple 1khz steps while I only feel a single detent on the control. 

I note this is likely an optical control and could be the root of the problem.  The shaft on mine, too, is a bit wobbly.  This isn't surprising since it also doubles as a push-switch as well.

I wonder, though, if there's really a problem with the control or elsewhere down the circuit.  I'm suspecting the optical control......still it hasn't been annoying enough to mess with it as my radio is well out of warranty at this point.  Its been a solid radio, too.

Cheers,

David

Well, that is somewhat similar to my experience, although I didn't try it with repeater memories.

It did happen when I was scrolling through the menu system--I turned the knob a couple clicks but the menu didn't change. Other times I would turn it one detent and it would move two menu #'s.

I will try and play around with this again tonight.
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:45 AM »

So I learned a little something about this select knob problem yesterday.

I had turned on my radio and started tuning and everything worked fine with the select knob, so I left it on and came back about an hour later.

Upon returning I tried turning the knob but nothing happened on the LCD--I tried turning it in both directions.

So I simply pressed the knob in and out once and then I was able to change the frequency normally--no other issues occured after doing that, so I left it on and came back about 45min later and it did the same thing.

It was as if the button went to sleep or timed out, for lack of a better word. I'm going to try this test again tonight when I get home. I would be interested to know if anyone else can recreate this on their rig.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »

Have you tried doing a complete reset/reboot of radio?

WE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »

This is a known issue by Yaesu. I took mine apart and discovered the shaft comes has to be carefully reseated. The encoder shaft comes out when you get careless and and press too hard inward while rotating encoder. It's not hard to fix but it shouldn't be this delicate. Yaesu has a replacement shaft encode you can install.

Bob
KB1VCZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »

Well, according to the tech I talked to, Yaesu had never heard of this issue.

I'm not sure exactly what your saying from what you wrote--I can't follow your second sentence.

And I don't know why you would be pushing the knob in while rotating.

I push the knob in to make the frequency readout blink, then I can turn it in Mhz.

How can the shaft come out if you are pushing it in?

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: