Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a used rig for 30 and 40 meters  (Read 1044 times)
W7ETA

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

I'm considering buying a used rig for use on 30 and 40 meter CW.  Minimum is dual VFOs with "split". What I really want is dual receivers however.

To have FUN, I use a C-Line.  When there is a big pile up I'd like to play in, I use my TS950S.

This rig I'm contemplating buying will be used at a second location--not in my house.

It's been a more than a decade since I've looked at transceivers. 

SO, I'm looking for suggestions.

Best from Tucson
Bob
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »

Hi

Look at the Elecraft K2. It has a very decent receiver and its performance on CW is superb. If you get a decent external RF speech processor it will work very well on SSB as well. It works superbly off the internal battery if you into QRP/portable work.

The K2 is a superb CW/Portable radio and I like its receiver performance very much on CW much more than my pair of K3's. I use my K2 more than my K3 because the receiver sounds better. The keyer  works very well with my single lever paddle.

If you have a noisy location the K2's noise blanker is far  from spectacular.

If you do get the K2, get the external heavy duty  VFO knob which turns the K2 into a superb rig for quickly tuning the bands. Some third party company machines and sells this knob. I forget  their name.

If you cant build the K2 or  find a used one, I would look at the TS-590S. Its the deal of the century in ham radio at the moment. It packs  a lot of receiver punch and works well in just about every mode.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: