Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10m sugestions  (Read 4043 times)
OLDWORLDER

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »

I am looking to geting on 10m are there any good 10m all modes available?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »

Just about every multi-band HF rig is a 10m all mode. For what you would pay for a Ranger 10m rig, you can buy a real HF radio that will be far more useful than a single-band rig, especially when (if) you upgrade to General.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:52:13 PM by W3LK » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:17 AM »

Just about every multi-band HF rig is a 10m all mode. For what you would pay for a Ranger 10m rig, you can buy a real HF radio that will be far more useful than a single-band rig, especially when (if) you upgrade to General.

I agree. Why anyone would want to buy and support these radios that are nothing more than disguised illegal CB radios is beyond me.

These are the very radios  that are being used by the pirates all round the world. Why do you want to  support companies that are directly supporting these freebanders?

The other issue is that these radios have very poor performance. The receivers and transmitters are substandard and even the most basic of ham radios like the Icom IC718 has better performance. Most of these radios have such poor power amplifier stages  that  they cause a lot of splatter  because they basically operating close to  Class C. They are basically splatter boxes that should not be on the ham bands.

Decent ham radios have never been cheaper. There is no excuse on the planet that justifies buying poor performing sub standard equipment and using it on the ham bands. Its bad enough that we have idiot hams using Class C CB amplifiers on the ham bands causing  a lot of interference. 10 meters has been opening lately and the amount of dirty signals from new hams using crap equipment is disturbing to say the least, we dont need more crap equipment on the ham bands.

Leave all these good buddy radios  on the CB band, thats where they belong along with all the splatter!
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:05:15 AM »

The most popular CB rig used to be an FT101, easy conversion from 10 meters to 11 meters.  Siltronix came out with their 1011 series rigs, sold for 10 meter used but used on 11 meters.

You can find a good used ham rig to run on ten meters, and then the other HF band when you get your Gen ticket.

My last CB rig was a Tempo ONE ham rig.  Since it had ham bands, no ten meters cause it was set up for 11 meters, I started listening to ham bands and instantly knew that was where I wanted to go.

Bob
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:19:09 AM »

I have a Tempo One also.  The person I bought it from had an 11 meter crystal in the 10 meter spot. 
Currently it is out on loan to a friend who has no hf rig.  But a great rig!
I saw one at a hamfest last year in perfect working order for $100.  I should have bought it.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »

Please spare the CB talk to another forum dealing with chicken bands.  yes it does bring back horrific memories of the CB rigs I had back in the 70's - Radio Shack, Cobra, President, Midland and Lafayette.  With the exception of the Cobra, the rest were 23 channels and only the Cobra was 40 channels.  I had to obtain a license from the FCC and my call was KAND 0535 up until the FCC gave up on the license and increase the channels to 40. Cheesy

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »

Decent ham radios have never been cheaper. There is no excuse on the planet that justifies buying poor performing sub standard equipment and using it on the ham bands. Its bad enough that we have idiot hams using Class C CB amplifiers on the ham bands causing  a lot of interference. 10 meters has been opening lately and the amount of dirty signals from new hams using crap equipment is disturbing to say the least, we dont need more crap equipment on the ham bands.

Wow! You sound kinda angry at these radios. What did they do to you?

Oh, by the way, CBRADIOLOVER from you tube says that you're wrong and that his Cobra 2000 can 'drop the maul' on an icom 7800. LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4n4NVU8Ck   <--------LOL!!!!!!
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »

I'm gonna side with the rest on this, I've seen quite a few 10m rigs and most are just plain junk.  Maybe...I said maybe, get one to use to scan the 10 meter band, but if you pick up a decent used all mode HF rig you can do the same thing.  I"ve known guys who have put CBs in their shacks to see how propagation is for 10 meters, but I gave up my CB long, long ago.  I remember the days when you had to be licensed, it was something like $9, the license was good for I believe back in the 70's was 5 years...by the way, my old CB license was KTN 8258, found my original CB license while going through some old papers a few months ago.

OH..CBRADIOLOVE...that is one seriously disturbed individual...never in my life did I ever hear such BS.  Hope ya'll have a great weekend!

73 de Mark
W3LZK
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 06:20:26 PM »

just get a older HF rig. you will like it much better.

i see kenwood 430's going for 200-250'ish good rig i have one.

for a antenna. you could just put up a antron 99
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53:13 AM »

Wow! You sound kinda angry at these radios. What did they do to you?

Oh, by the way, CBRADIOLOVER from you tube says that you're wrong and that his Cobra 2000 can 'drop the maul' on an icom 7800. LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4n4NVU8Ck   <--------LOL!!!!!!

I don't believe the transceiver did anything to anyone. However, that fact remains that from an engineering stand point, these garden variety "10 meter import" transceivers are junk.  Poor design, poor filtering, etc. As W2IBC indicated, a nice used TS-430 is far superior to any of those 10 meter transceivers.

I feel a little sorry for the guy in the video "CBRADIOLOVER", certainly he is not the shiniest penny in the bunch, but you know what they say, aim low and you will never be disappointed Wink   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: