Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to expect when I take my General test in a couple of weeks  (Read 6110 times)
KD4EBL

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:06:37 AM »

When I sit down to take my General test in a couple of weeks I was wondering if

a) are the questions in random order or do they follow a specfic order (ie the subelements are in order)?

b) are the multiple choice answers in the same order as published, or are they also radomized?

c) Do the VEs select specfic questions or are the test radomized based on the number of questions taken from each subelement?
d)  I know  need to bring a simple calulator (not a smart phone), my licence (and a copy), pencil and paper. Anything else? I am assuming all band plans and formulas need to be memorized.
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:48 AM »

Don't need to memorize anything related to material that is not specifically asked in the published questions and answers. 

Neil N3DF
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »

Photo ID and cash.
W4PSV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:05:55 AM »

It'll be just like your Technician exam:

a) The questions are random
b) the order of the answers is random
c) There are several standardized question sets.  The VE will randomly select one of those.  Only one question will come from each subelement. 
d) Bring an original and a copy of your current (Technician) license, a couple of pencils, no paper (you will be be given scratch paper), a simple calculator, and the exam fee, probably in cash.

You will need to know basic formulas and band plans just like you did for your Technician exam.

While you're at it, if you have time, take the Extra exam and find out how much more you don't know.  It doesn't cost any more, since the exam fee is for a session, not an exam.
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »

Thanks all!
BTW There is a lot of good study material out there, much that I learned from this site. I have downloaded the podclass, have a copy of the ARRL guide, have the test app on my iphone and paper copies of the exms. I take three practice tests a day and then review the areas that I get wrong.

My No code tech test was a long long time ago (20 years). Glad to see so many new resources are available!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »

One other piece of advice--you've prepared for this very well, you're ready for it, and there is NOTHING to be worried about.  Don't stress out; stay relaxed!  ;-) 

I see you and I were originally licensed around the same time--my first call was KD4EIP.  :-)  GL 73! 
N7QBJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »

If you have an Android phone, check out my test software Smiley
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cstructor.arexam
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

You can take practice tests here on eham and at several other sites - free. They use the actual Q&A. If you can pass online practice tests consistently, you're good to go!

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »

Remember that the current General question pool expires in June (I think it is) and the Extra pool expires in 2012, again in June (I think).  I don't know whether the exam sites offer both question pools.
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:37 PM »

The three most important rules have been covered, but can't be stressed enough:

1. Don't stress
2. Don't stress
and
3. Don't stress

It's just an upgrade test for a hobby, not the State BAR.

4. Speaking of cellphones, turn it off, or at least on "vibrate" during the session and don't answer it if it vibrates until after the session.

After the exam:

5. Have fun with with your new privileges.

6. Don't let the lids and losers ("jammers", "mockers", "peanut galleries", etc.) chase you off Amateur Radio or they win.

7. Don't be a lid or loser, that's all.

NO6L
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:28:29 PM by NO6L » Logged
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »

All good advice!!
But really, there is no "phone a friend" option? What if I use 2 meters? Smiley

I am really looking forward to getting on HF! THanks to everyone for their help!
W4PSV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »

Remember that the current General question pool expires in June (I think it is) and the Extra pool expires in 2012, again in June (I think).  I don't know whether the exam sites offer both question pools.
This one does: http://hamexam.org/
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 05:27:19 AM »

I just registered for the July General test and the test moderator told me that unfortunately, the test pool for the General is now more difficult.

Sorry I missed the June deadline.  Sad

Sam
W9KDX
KC9UKH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »

I just registered for the July General test and the test moderator told me that unfortunately, the test pool for the General is now more difficult.

I actually just passed my Tech exam last weekend so I'm a newbie but I know I plan on upgrading to General.  I looked at both question pools side-by-side and I'm not certain I full understand how the complexity has changed?  I've already begun studying for the new question pool just to alleviate any confusion. 

Since I didn't look at the "old" question pool all that much, I figure by just jumping in head first with the new/updated question pool - I won't be missing anything.   Grin

KC9UKH, Scott.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »

I actually just passed my Tech exam last weekend so I'm a newbie but I know I plan on upgrading to General.  I looked at both question pools side-by-side and I'm not certain I full understand how the complexity has changed?  I've already begun studying for the new question pool just to alleviate any confusion. 

Since I didn't look at the "old" question pool all that much, I figure by just jumping in head first with the new/updated question pool - I won't be missing anything.   Grin

I spent a while studying the old pool and now the new pool and there is no question in my mind that they are more difficult.  There are some areas that I have never seen before and there are more acronyms and specific regulations that just need to be memorized.  For me, it is not going to be impossible, but I am certainly going to need a lot more time studying to get all the new areas.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: