Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icon is not is the task-bar.  (Read 1033 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:31:25 AM »

I hope the moderator will allow this off-topic item.
My problem has just started in the past couple of weeks and I am stumped, really really stumped.
I'm running a desktop Dell Dimension B-110 (DE051, Intel Celeron 2.53 GHz, 1 GB RAM) with Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 5.1.2600 service-pack 3 Build 2600.
The problem is with Microsoft Outlook 2003 (11.8330.8333 sp3).
I open-up Outlook and read some emails.
I decide to open-up Google Chrome, so I minimize Outlook via clicking the "-" in the upper-right-corner.
Normally, an icon would show-up in the task-bar; but that no longer is happening.
You'd have no idea that Outlook had been opened and minimized.
I can open-up Google Chrome, minimize it, and its icon is in the task-bar; ditto for any other apps I want to open and minimize.
To get back to Outlook, I have to click on the shortcut-icon on the desktop.
I've tried everything I can imagine towards getting the Outlook icon to show-up in the task-bar.
Let me write that four people use this computer (my wife, two teenage grandchildren, & me), so anything could have happened along the way to cause this problem; the grandchildren don't use Outlook.
The problem becomes annoying when my wife wants to check her email while I'm using Outlook; even if I close Outlook, I have to power down the system in order to be able to open-up her Outlook.
To repeat....I'm stumped; I hope someone knows what got changed.
73 Jerry KM3K
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:04:28 AM »

There's probably an icon in the Sys Tray - look there. It's the little area on the bottom right next to the clock.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:09 AM »

There's probably an icon in the Sys Tray - look there. It's the little area on the bottom right next to the clock.

Thanks for the lead.
By itself, that wasn't the answer; however, it led me to a solution.

Here's what happened to fix the problem...
I right-clicked that icon and five lines of choices came up, one of which was "Hide when minimized" and that choice was checked.
Un-checking that choice fixes my problem.

I do remember checking that some weeks ago thinking that it would minimized the icon in the System-Tray; I did not know it meant the icon in the Task-Bar.

Anyway, thanks again.
73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:53:23 AM »

I would suggest that you create a separate login for grand kids using computer. Create one with less than admin privileges and this will create their own desktop setup and make it hard to accidentally mess up your configuration.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: