Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SIMPLE LOG SOFTWARE DESIRED  (Read 6524 times)
WD4KPD

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »

seeking a truly simple log program that basically requires only those inputs that LOTW requires, and exports to the same.

no frills at all required, just the facts.

david/wd4kpd

wd4kpd@suddenlink.net

N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »

Google N3FJP.  You can easily set it up to show only what you want it to...and it interfaces nicely with LOTW.  You can try it for free for three months but if you like it, it will cost you a whopping $20!

Don Keith N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
http://n4kc.blogspot.com

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »

"no frills at all required, just the facts."

I understand your desire for simplification but if you are a serious DXer / contester and plan on anything other than using LOTW, I would recommend that you give DX Lab Suite a peek at "http://www.dxlabsuite.com/". Although it isn't as simple as falling down, it has a very powerful array of tools, is easy to start with and gives you the ability to 'grow' your logging / operating environment as you find the need to do so. While checking it out, don't get overwhelmed by the fact that it has so many features. It is easy to use and comes with a full thorough help documentation online and is also available for download. It easily interfaces to use and report on LOTW, eQSL, Club Log and plain old paper QSLs.

While N3JFP is a nice logging program, I found that I quickly outgrew it capabilities once I wanted to do anything with the QSO data other than enter it. I wanted to use my logging program to do a lot of data analysis to track and report what I had and hadn't worked for awards and I found that with the version of N3FJP I had at the time, I could not easily do that. Of course in all fairness, that was a few years ago and I haven't had the need to revisit its capabilities in recent years since I switch my shack over to DX Lab Suite so N3FJP may be the cat's meow now?

But best of all (to me), DX Lab Suite does everything I could ever want it to do and it is a whopping FREE  Wink

Just some info for your consideration. The author AA6YQ Dave does a great suite of software and my hat is off to him.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:01:55 AM »

Try Winlog32, free, has LOTW and a lot more
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:48:25 AM »

Dear OM, your use of simple may require a more complex definition!  Also note your needs for contesting are different than everyday logging! 
As this is the contesting forum, first that need.  Dupe checking foremost, but if you have a modern-enough rig you might as well let it log band and frequency.  And don't you want to use the same program for both big and small contests?  Any of the full feature contesting packages will work!  (Here I use N1MM - and having a band-map display is really nice). 
For everyday logging of course you don't care about dupes, but you likely want to recall the other op's name, seeing if you have worked before, and if there is a pile-up to see if you need that entity on this particular band.  After the QSO, you want convenient QSL tracking.  Note your contest logs can be uploaded into it.  I use WinLog32 which now has LOTW upload and download.
Simple is mostly finding what works well and being familiar with how to use it!  To a large extent the user window has obvious functions once it is set up. 
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:04:49 AM »

Free contesting to me would be N1MM.

I will not use N3FJP becuase it does not allow you to work dupes.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

I thought the N3FJP was $ 50 ??
Maybe it has changed.

I second N1MM for contesting and simple LoTW.
I use it most every day, and works just fine.
I use the generic log or DX log for day-to-day logging.

FREE is GOOD !!!
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »

I would recommend getting Ham Radio Deluxe which has a logging program (standalone) included.
Once installed, you use the logbook by just calling it from the windows start menu, so all the other programs included in HRD is not required.
This program will figure out DXCC, export automatically to eQSL and LOTW, and you can export it to ADI format or text or just include the fields you want.

It is also free, which is what ham radio software should be.
Save your money, free software is in many cases superior to payware.
Almost every digimodes program has an integrated logbook application, so investigate some of those if you use digimodes, but the HRD logbook is standalone, which is why I suggested it.

Another great freeware program is 4NEC2 antenna simulation software, a near professional quality simulator which will blow you away with its features - all for free.

73s.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:37:50 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:33 AM »

A no frills logger is N3FJP. I have seen it and it is good. However, if you want some more goodies, than HRD 5.0. N3FJP is $20 or so. HRD 5.0 is free.
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »

I use N3FJP for all my logging needs, from the basic contact lo, which after the trial is $20, to the whole shootin match.  I ordered the CD which has all of Scot's programs on it. It has your basic amateur contact log, plus most of the contests that are out there.  I don't remember what all is on the CD now I would have to look, but that will set you back the $50 some one else had posted.  I have found Scot's logs to be easy to set up, and as has been posted you can choose what you want displayed.  I downloaded the CD onto both my laptop, which is my catch all computer, to my netbook which has all my amateur radio programs on it.

3 de Mark
W3LZK
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »

It is also free, which is what ham radio software should be.

Although free is good, to say that all ham radio software should be free is a bit reaching, don't you think. It isn't just an afternoon on the computer typing in some code that makes GOOD QUALITY software but a rather involved process of defining the requirements, creating a prototype, testing that and streamlining the baseline to meet the requirements. Once that is done, then there is the continual cycle of upgrades and debugging errors and then on top of all that, any good software should be inutitive but still have a set of decent documenation to help get users over the rough spots. For those really tough issues, that requires time to spend supporting the user's problems.

My hat is off to the list of developers who take the time to do all of the above and provide QUALITY products at FREE or even reduced costs. Lord knows that if these programs were transferred over to the commerical world of software developement and distribution, most hams could not afford them nor would they want them.  

If you have a favorite ham software package, spread the word. If you don't like something in a FREE software package, then let that be know too but do it in a friendly way and not a blasting critique of how it is piece of crap or worse. Remember the cost you paid for it. If enough people start to blast free products soon they aren't there.

Gene W5DQ
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:18:50 PM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »

seeking a truly simple log program that basically requires only those inputs that LOTW requires, and exports to the same.

no frills at all required, just the facts.

I have been involved in a project that has created what I think is a simple online logging program.  It does support some contests and can/will support more.  The idea was to have a logging program to replace the ARRL logbook that I used to cary around to the various stations where I guest operated.  It is all on the net via a web browser.

http://inthelog.com/

George
K5TR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: