Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adhesive Shrink Tube  (Read 6891 times)
AF6D

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »

I am looking for adhesive shrink tubing in 1/2" and 3/4". I want it by the roll and not in 4 foot lengths. I'm running new cables this year and weather sealing all connectors (N, PL-259 and BNC).

Thanks in advance.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:15 PM »

AFAIK, Shrink tube only comes in straight lengths in that diameter, Not rolls. Usually in the four foot length, then you cut it down to whatever length you want.  

A good place to get a great deal on some is from your local cable TV splicer construction crew.  Bring them a bag of donuts and see how much you can get!

AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:24:54 AM »

It's on eBay in 100 and 500 foot NON-adhesive rolls. Up here in snow country where it suddenty began raining I'm a bit tired of soggy connectors each year.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:27:19 PM »

Just a question, are you looking for the shrink tubing that contains an adhesive that melts when you heat the tubing to shrink it, or one that you use like electrical tape that shrinks when you heat it?

73s
K2OWK
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »

I would use non corrosive rated RTV with regular heat shrink over it. (the excess squeezes out) It is more stable over a wider temperature range and is easier to repair/take apart when need be.   

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »

I would use non corrosive rated RTV with regular heat shrink over it. (the excess squeezes out) It is more stable over a wider temperature range and is easier to repair/take apart when need be.   

I think it would offer better sealing advantages as well
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »

Check out www.Cableorganizers.com  I buy my heat shrink from them.  Good people to deal with and quite the selection.

Check out the 3:1 where they have the dual wall up to 20 foot lengths.  Single wall in 100 or 500 foot lengths.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:32:24 AM by KB1NXE » Logged
N0EQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »

Look on eBay (or elsewhere) for the vendors that sell to automobile monster stereo users and/or marine electronics installers. They have mil spec (thick wall) adhesive lined heat shrink in sizes to fit up to 4/0 battery/welding cable. Those high power stereo guys typically upgrade their battery primary and ground cables to that huge welding cable stuff and use the big heat shrink to seal their crimped/soldered connections.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »

The trick on eBay is knowing the search term. I also want large rolls, not 4 foot pieces. But I do want the thick walled adhesive. They are to go over PL-259's (1/2" or 3/4" Huh) and N connectors.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »

You do know that quality N connectors unlike PL 259's are fully weatherproof. I simply use RTV without heat shrink over 259's and I have never had a problem. Bad thing about heatshrink it can also trap moisture inside that manages to leak in.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »

Like I said in my first post, We are talking two totally different products here.....  The nice heavy wall heat shrink with the adhesive comes in 4 foot long lengths.  The (Cheapo) thin wall product found in big rolls on Ebay is NOT the same stuff at all.....
I don't understand why the 4 foot length product will not do the job for you?   Especially if close to free from your local cable TV splicer like I mentioned.  A single four foot length does quite a few connections.   
(I am talking about the product they use to seal .500 cable TV Feeder lines with)
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

Like I said in my first post, We are talking two totally different products here.....  The nice heavy wall heat shrink with the adhesive comes in 4 foot long lengths.  The (Cheapo) thin wall product found in big rolls on Ebay is NOT the same stuff at all.....
I don't understand why the 4 foot length product will not do the job for you?   Especially if close to free from your local cable TV splicer like I mentioned.  A single four foot length does quite a few connections.   
(I am talking about the product they use to seal .500 cable TV Feeder lines with)

This type of heat shrink is also used on electric service drops. I've purchased it at United Electric. I first used it on my satellite antennas back in the 90's and have used it ever since.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 01:43:30 PM »

The trick on eBay is knowing the search term. I also want large rolls, not 4 foot pieces. But I do want the thick walled adhesive. They are to go over PL-259's (1/2" or 3/4" Huh) and N connectors.

Again,  Have you looked on www.cableorganizers.com?  Have you called them?
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »

You do know that quality N connectors unlike PL 259's are fully weatherproof. I simply use RTV without heat shrink over 259's and I have never had a problem. Bad thing about heatshrink it can also trap moisture inside that manages to leak in.

Respectfully, no connector is completey waterproof. My brand new DB-224 antenna that was up one week and got rained on had water in the connector. Yes, it was properly attached Smiley

I desperately want to tell the difference between an N connector and a woman is that you can unscrew an N connecor but fear the wrath of the moderators  Roll Eyes
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »

Again,  Have you looked on www.cableorganizers.com?  Have you called them?

I went to their web site -0- thank you. But I quickly got lost on their less than organized pages. As a web developer I'm kind of fussy about cluttered sites. I figured if they sold it by the roll I'd see it online. Honestly, I didn't call because of priorities. I have a 9 year little girl with brain cancer and the days are challenging. I back-burner-ed it. But I still need rolls and not feet of adhesive.

With this said, what sizes do I need? 1/2"? 3/4"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: