Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-8R APRS Digi Settings  (Read 4105 times)
W5JMC

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »

I am not a very avid/expert APRS user, but have a mobile and portable setup that I have used when on trips or out hiking.  I was curious if any other VX-8R users or avid APRSers would be able to advise of the current settings I should have in my VX-8R in the Digi settings (option 15 in the APRS menu)? 

Currently, I have 1) "WIDE1-1" and 2) "WIDE2-1".  Are these the most efficient settings?  If I am in the wilderness, out hiking or backcountry camping (vs in a large city), what settings increase my chances the most of getting "picked up" - for lack of a better word?

Thanks for any advice.

NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »

Hello and welcome to the world of APRS and Yaesu HT's.  The recommended path setting is WIDE1-1 AND WIDE2-1 - Dependent on how remote you are going more hops could be added but this may/will also increase traffic / QRM on the network.

Interval during hiking could be as long as 15 - 30 mins to conserve battery.  Good Luck w/ the VX8 73 NJ3U Rory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: