The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about QSL card size  (Read 3482 times)
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »

Hello again:

I have a question about QSL card size.

I made the mistake to order and print about 500 QSL card which i designed from a local printing company. The size i ordered was a standard 4*6 type of postcard.

I have been reading that the ideal size is 3.5 * 5.5.

Tonight i was able to cut some excess from all sides of one card and was able to bring it down to about 3.5 * 5.7 inches without cutting the printed letters.

So my question is this: Is it ok to use this type of cards even if they are not 5.5 inches in length? Will people hate me for this? LOL.
Will the QSL Bureaus hate me for this?

Please Help!!!!

Cry
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »

Hello VE2ITZ, The US Post Office lists the following sizes for standard post cards:  Minimum is 3.5"X5"X0.007", Maximum size is 4.25"X6"X0.007". The price for mailing this card in the US is 29 cents US. Out of country I pay about 96 cents US. My QSL cards are 4"X5.5". The QSL cards you have are fine the way they are. I receive all different size cards from all over the world. Some are very simple with just the station call sign and technical data about the QSO, others are very elaborate with pictures of the operator and his station with all kind of information and pictures of his or her  country or State. The ones you have sound fine and any ham would be grateful to receive it.

73s
K2OWK
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:48:17 AM »

Hello VE2ITZ, The US Post Office lists the following sizes for standard post cards:  Minimum is 3.5"X5"X0.007", Maximum size is 4.25"X6"X0.007". The price for mailing this card in the US is 29 cents US. Out of country I pay about 96 cents US. My QSL cards are 4"X5.5". The QSL cards you have are fine the way they are. I receive all different size cards from all over the world. Some are very simple with just the station call sign and technical data about the QSO, others are very elaborate with pictures of the operator and his station with all kind of information and pictures of his or her  country or State. The ones you have sound fine and any ham would be grateful to receive it.

73s
K2OWK

Thanks for the info Barry. I was just wondering if sending the 4*6 card could cause a problem with the Bureau since i am planning on sending them via the bureau more than by the post.

Take care!

Juan
VE2ITZ
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:39:30 PM »

Hello again VE2ITZ, The only minor problem I see is that if someone sends you a stamped self addressed envelope for your card return, you would have to cut it to fit the standard size envelope. This is what I do in that case, but again it is not a big problem. Check the bureau's web sit for there maximum QSL card size.

73s
Barry
K2OWK
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »

Hello again VE2ITZ, The only minor problem I see is that if someone sends you a stamped self addressed envelope for your card return, you would have to cut it to fit the standard size envelope. This is what I do in that case, but again it is not a big problem. Check the bureau's web sit for there maximum QSL card size.

73s
Barry
K2OWK

Fantastic!

Thanks again Barry!

73 de VE2ITZ

Juan

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »

So my question is this: Is it ok to use this type of cards even if they are not 5.5 inches in length? Will people hate me for this? LOL.
Will the QSL Bureaus hate me for this?

Juan,

I cannot speak for the VE2 buro but in W6 land where I am a segment sorter/mgr, I see all kinds of cards (or things resembling cards  Huh) come thru my segment. One specific issue is Japanese DX cards. Almost everyone of the cards I see from Japan are roughly 4" x 5.5", a little over the 3.5" x 5.5" standard that is used here in the states. Not sure but I suppose this size is some sort of standard size in Japan and other parts of the world such as A4 paper is in the UK. I would not worry about sending your current cards thru the buro. Should be no problem what so ever as far as what I have experienced. Also you should have no problem mailing those as postcards (or I should say, you wouldn't in the US) or in a #10 envelope. A #6-3/4 envelope will probably require a trim job to get them to fit.

For future customers of the business you used, you might want to take a standard size QSL card along with your cards and show them the difference so that they will understand what it is about should you or another ham want to use them again. If they see the difference and understand, it may actual open a new market to them.

Good Luck and Good DX'ing,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:13:52 PM »

73s
Barry
K2OWK

This brings up a alternate solution I have heard of some people using to QSL. Instead of affixing the postage stamp to the SASE when sending, they send a SAE and put the stamp(s) in the envelope with a note to look inside. That way should someone have oversize cards, then they can use a larger envelope if they desire. I have received a couple QSLs sent this way. Of course it does require a little more effort on your part to tear the backing off with stamp so it isn't sticky until used if it is self sticking. I don't know if you can still buy lick stamps anymore or not. Haven't seen them in a long while at PO.

For direct DX QSLs, I send nested DX mailers that will take a big card with no problem, up to 4.25" x 6.25". A little more cost but good return rate and no worry about getting a 'folded QSL card' (I'd hate to think of it  Angry)

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: