Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communicating Percents  (Read 2421 times)
AE5QB

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:08:37 AM »

Is there a proper and shortened way to indicate percents in cw?  For example, I find I am wanting to tell an operator that I received only 50% or 25% of a transmission.  I often resort to just spelling out "50 percent."

If the issue is just one piece of information such as "name?" or "rst?" or "QTH?"  that is simple enough.  But if conditions are bad and I only copy X% of a transmission, what is the proper response?
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:12:50 AM »

I just say some, half or most.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »

For specific "vitals" (his name, QTH, your report), just say "name?" "QTH?", etc.

The fact that you weren't able to copy his whole transmission should set off an alarm in his head: "He's having trouble copying - I'll slow down a bit and repeat important things.  Might have to end the QSO if it's bad on his end."

We can't control the quality of propagation between any two points beyond line of sight, and shortened QSOs can be the result if the band goes funny.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »

I use "sum" or "most" and ask for a repeat for pertinent information.  I usually tell why the copy was bad...QRM, QRN, pse QRS.... and although I've been tempted to say QLF (now try sending with your left foot) I haven't.

Every crow thinks their offspring is the blackest and every CW OP thinks their fist is the best.  :-)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »

Isn't this what the RST system was originally intended for?

You know R for Readability as in 5 is perfect 100% copy, 3 is pretty darn rough copy 50% or less, 2 implies nearly impossible copy 20-30% or less.

Nowadays somehow everyone is 59.. "What was that call again" ?  Grin
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »

Just reporting that you did not get some percentage of the message is bad communication. 

Far better to stipulate exactly what it is that you did not copy, using those "diddydumdumdiddy" question marks.  QTH?  CALL?  NAME?  AGN

But if it is a matter of not copying something like sentences in a ragchew or the like, it may be better to come back with the *reason* for the missed copy. 

QRS -  The request to slow down a bit as you are having trouble copying due to speed.

SRY OM QRM - Indicating that another transmission got in the way.

QRN - Indicating that Noise was the reason for the missed copy.

QSB - Fading signal, such as when the band is changing. 

AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »

...QLF (now try sending with your left foot) I haven't....

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.  I like it and will have to keep in the back of my mind.  Or more likely I will now know what it means when someone sends it to me. Smiley

So how about formal traffic?  If the local red cross rep wants to send a message that drinking water is down to 50%, do you just spell out percent?

N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »

If one sent 0/0 or 0/00 to indicate percent, it ought to be clear. In context p/c or p/cent should also work.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »

So how about formal traffic?  If the local red cross rep wants to send a message that drinking water is down to 50%, do you just spell out percent?

I have seen PC used as an abbreviation for percent in both CW and Baudot RTTY non-traffic-handling contexts.

But... in traffic handling you just spell it out.

Tim.
KE3WH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

I would use "pct" for abbreviation.

First ticket 1980. Ex KA3EWT, N3DSO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: