Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7040 Jammer  (Read 4796 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 07:51:23 AM »

I didn't know the calling frequency had moved to 7030. Somewhere around the shack I have a QRP transmitter with a 7.040 crystal. I parked my Flex on 7040 a few days ago and heard many /QRP stations. 

--
I used WSPR several months ago which is a hoot, at least for a while. I don't know about 100 mw being the "standard power."  Like many dumb beginners I fired up with my full 100 watts. Boy does that work well! I dropped the power down to 10 watts and finally settled on 1 or 2 watts which seemed to be a common level and as low as my Flex would go. As for my transmit cycle, I believe I used 50% which is the default as I recall. But I was using a much better than average antenna. Frankly I didn't think about the QRM that arrangement would cause. After all I was using the "official" WSPR frequency.

I can see why WSPR isn't loved by everyone and I'm surprised an OO would warn a CW station for interfering with it.

WSPR is said to print at inaudible levels 28 dB BELOW the noise on a bandwidth of 6 Hz. So I guess a proper WSPR transmission should almost never be more than S-9 more than a few miles away. It's possible what you were hearing wasn't WSPR, or was WSPR run at excessive power. 
N3UPM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 09:17:32 AM »

I don't think the QRP frequency for NA has "officially" been moved, but I have seen suggestions in many places, and seen quite a few kits that offer the "30" crystal instead of the "40", to avoid digital modes on 7.040.

So, a properly-functioning WSPR station should be inaudible? Kinda hard to avoid interfering with something you can't hear! By the same train of thought, if you can hear it, and it's a good distance away, the station is not being properly run (i.e.- minimum power level to accomplish the "contact")?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 10:44:32 AM »

This frequent 7.040 carrier is also familiar to us qrp ops.here in New England and to other E.coast qrp'ers I have talked to.Maybe it is a WSPR signal,but it is still frustrating to send out a cq on 7.040 when it is clear and then as soon as you make a contact this (mystery)carrier comes on.Luckily I am not rock bound.     73   Jim 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: