Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII Digital VOX Settings  (Read 1022 times)
N1ZHE

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »

I have an Omni VII. I use it with my Mac to work digital modes.

Because my Mac doesn't have a com port I use VOX to key the rig when working digital modes. I do have a USB/COM port adapter but it's in use reading frequency data, etc for my logging program.

When I work JT65 or psk31 I have no problems on 10 meters - 30 meters. But when I try to work digital modes on 40 or 80 meters, either the rig won't key or it keys sporadically during the transmission.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with my settings on the radio, I use different programs for JT65 and psk31.

Right now my pertinent settings are:

Line Gain: 50%
VOX Trip: 88%
Anti-VOX: 15%
VOX Hang: 14%

I don't use VOX otherwise, no experience with it. What would you suggest for my settings?

Thank you!

David, N1ZHE
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:36:21 AM »

My first questions:

. . . Is your antenna close to your computer and rig?

. . . Do you have a transformer-isolated interface between the rig and computer?

. . . Do you have a balun at the feedpoint of the antenna, or at the output of the rig or antenna tuner?

When you can work OK on some bands, but not others, "RF in the shack" is always a possibility.

Also, if you can work 40 and 80 meters at _low power levels_ -- 10 watts or so -- "RF in the shack" is a very likely possibility.

If your problem is "RF in the shack":

. . . Buy some ferrites, put them on every wire connecting the rig to the computer.

Charles   
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »

4:1 unun at the antenna, 130 feet feedline, Rascall interface, choke balun on the feedline.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: