About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HW 18  (Read 3203 times)
N3HLL

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »

Another boat anchor?  CAP has directed that only type listed equip can be used on their frequencies so this old work horse came out of service.  Anyone have a manual for it?  I got it with a power supply so might be able to get it running.

Larry
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »

As I remember the HW-18 came in two versions.  The CAP model and the 160 meter version.  Both were crystal controlled.   In order to use the CAP model on a HAM band you will have to make some modifications - I think'

Dick AD4U
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »

Actually it was available in three version HW18-1 for CAP,  HW18-2 for MARS and HW18-3
for 160 meter SSB.

Good luck finding a manual.
Allen
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »

According to this http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/products/ham.html

There were three versions with the CAP version having the longest production run (1968 => 1972). The MARS and 160 Meter versions were available in '68 and '69 only. As Allen said, good luck in finding a manual. Good chance you're going to pay to play for that one.  Sad

Never change a password on a Friday                
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »

Almost all the Heathkit manuals have disappeared from sites like BAMA because the copyrights were bought by an individual who's now selling reprints.
I've bought a couple from this person, and they were both expensive, and poor quality.
They only other solution you have is to keep looking for an original manual, via sellers on eBay, or other places.
Jim
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »

You might look for a manual for a HW-12 or HW-22:  it wouldn't surprise me if much of the circuitry was
similar, except that the HW-18 (as I remember it) had switched crystals instead of a VFO.  That and the
switchable tuned circuits in the driver and final stages may be the main differences (but you may need
to change the mixing scheme if it was originally designed for USB.)
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »

It is true that many of the Heathkit manuals have vanished but one source remains,  Mods.dk,  they have your manual for download I just checked as well as many more Heathkits.  They offer  one free download every 4 days if I recall, but you must register,  you can get unlimited access by making a donation of some type.  Hope this helps,   they are based overseas and guess they don't care about copy rights over there as they have been dishing them out for a long time since the purchase.  I think I read some where on the net that the guy's lawyer tried to shut them down and was told he was out of luck,   73 Jim  N0XE
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

Oops!
Forgot about Mods.dk, and they're usually the first place I look.
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 09:28:46 PM »

WOW I spent many hours of my youth with hard headphones on listing to my HW-18. When I got out of CAP I gave the Rig to the Lapeer squadron in Michigan.

I found one on eBay a year ago and could not stop myself from putting a bid on it, well as ebay goes I now own it. I purchased a internal DSP board and I am going to turn mine into a external speaker (I am going to make the lights work and if I can without screwing up the audio I am going to have the audio tickle the S meter.

I am telling you all this to say if you need some parts I plan on removing the guts of the rig, if you want the parts I will be happy to sent them to you. (except the swithches, s meter, speaker, volume controls.

I DO NOT have a power supply but they are available on ebay all the time.

Mine was on 4604 KHZ

73 Del McCord
dottys@charter.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: