Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingman - is there enough "land" to be activated  (Read 1253 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »

If the seas rise as they say they will - due to the polar ice caps melting - and the seas rising up to 5 feet - will Kingman be totally under water?

I wonder if any entities will be deleted because they will become "submerged". I'm being half serious, and half kidding - but it is a question I have thought about a bit.

The pictures of the last DX-ped there - in 2000 - show that there was very little above the sea to activate in the first place.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:32:05 PM »

If the seas rise as they say they will - due to the polar ice caps melting - and the seas rising up to 5 feet - will Kingman be totally under water?

I wonder if any entities will be deleted because they will become "submerged". I'm being half serious, and half kidding - but it is a question I have thought about a bit.

The pictures of the last DX-ped there - in 2000 - show that there was very little above the sea to activate in the first place.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingman_Reef there are about 2 acres of land, but the highest point is less than 5 feet above sea level. Thus a rise of 5' would be problematic for activation.

Dropping off a few big boulders before total inundation occurs would permit the use of BS7H-style scaffolding to prolong workability if sea levels rise beyond 5'.

WFWL!

Dave, AA6YQ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »

All quotes in this posting are from Wikipedia . . . .

A DX-ing Elmer of mine thinks the issue with a number of places on the list is the fact that for environmental concerns, some rare places will be very hard to even get permission to activate:

"The atoll is closed to the public. For statistical purposes, Kingman Reef is grouped as part of the United States Minor Outlying Islands. In January 2009, Kingman Reef was designated a marine national monument."

When you compare this with Kure:

"Although there is no permanent human population, it is considered part of the City and County of Honolulu.[9] It became a state wildlife sanctuary in 1981.[10] Since 1993 the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources and volunteers from the Kure Atoll Conservancy group have helped to restore the atoll to a more natural state.[11] Jean-Michel Cousteau produced a video on a voyage to Kure which first aired in 2006.[12]"

Seems like it would be more difficult to get permission to go to Kingman than Kure . . . .
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:16:52 AM »

AS one who missed Kingman, I hope it gets activated again soon but I'm not counting on it. I still need Wake Island as well out there. Another one I don't think we'll hear from again for a long time is Johnston Atoll. I don't think there's been anybody back there since Martti last activated it, IIRC.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »

Kingman would be a chip shot for me - even with the demand that must be there, (since it hasn't been activated in 11 years). Navassa and Malpelo would also be somewhat easy - but the pileups will be fierce.

Great that Malpelo is going to be activated, and I have a gut feeling that Navassa will be - since Decheco turned out so well and was also great PR for the ham community.

I think Campbell / Auckland might also be a place that can be activated - but I think its also an environmentally protected area. I think environmentally protected areas will be put on hold for a very very long time.

I wonder if any entity has ever been deleted for "environmental concerns"?

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »

Kingman would be a chip shot for me - even with the demand that must be there, (since it hasn't been activated in 11 years). Navassa and Malpelo would also be somewhat easy - but the pileups will be fierce.

Great that Malpelo is going to be activated, and I have a gut feeling that Navassa will be - since Decheco turned out so well and was also great PR for the ham community.

I think Campbell / Auckland might also be a place that can be activated - but I think its also an environmentally protected area. I think environmentally protected areas will be put on hold for a very very long time.

I wonder if any entity has ever been deleted for "environmental concerns"?

All of those were real easy to work the last time they were activated.  You just have to wait.....or sponsor your own.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »

KB9CRY:

Yes - I am fully aware of this. Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: