The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: field day vhf ssb  (Read 1930 times)
KE5OKT

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »

Is there much SSB on VHF during field day?  I figured it would be the best time for my son (technician) to try it out since there would likely be more out there listening.  We are borrowing the radio, and we've got an 11 element vhf beam we're setting up horizontal at about 35' with a rotor in hopes iof seeing if he wants to buy a vhf ssb rig.
JimD
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:06:51 AM »

A lot probably depends on where you are located. On 2m and up there may not be much activity.

Setting up a 6m station can be fun however. But it is impossible to predict if 6m will be open. I've been at field days where we made over 200 qso's on 6m, and others when we made less than 10.

Tor
N4OGW
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »

6 meters has been open a lot recently. I definitely will be operating on that band for field day. I have very recently reached California from Ohio on the world's worst antenna.
I have never worked 2 meters but I'm sure that people will be using long beams from hill tops everywhere.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:25:41 AM »

"I have never worked 2 meters but I'm sure that people will be using long beams from hill tops everywhere.
 "

I'm not so sure. It's worth a shot.

Unfortunately, the best time to have tried VHF SSB has passed.  The June VHF contest was the weekend before last.

The September VHF contest should be pretty good too.

I wish you luck, but even around here in an active 2m SSB environment, there usually only seems someone on in VHF contests.

Some FD groups do set up the VHF/UHF gear, and they'd be glad to talk to you...  but I probably wouldn't expect a lot of big gun VHFers to hit up Field Day.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K9GTJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »

Jim,

There are many VHF/UHF Stations on for Field Day but it depends what the band conditions are like as to activity.  Like mentioned, it can be busy or lonely.  A six meter opening is bad for two meter operation since most people stay on six and don't migrate to two.

However two meters SSB can be a blast to operate.  VHF/UHF operations can be a challenge and some find it fun.  (I do.)

There is a big VHF contest in July too.  Check here - http://www.cqww-vhf.com/  There will be lots of activity that weekend.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »

I've been doing it for the last 8 years.  Yes there is activity at least in New England and last year 6M was open and I was raking them in.

If you do:

Find a high spot, higher is better.  If not out in the clear will do.

For 6M a 3 element beam at 15-20 ft is very manageable if not a square loop or halo at least 15ft up will get you  on the air.

For 2M a 4-5 element beam is only 3-4ft long and worth having.

If you can do UHF (432) so much the better.

Sorry unless the coax is very short as in 25 to 30ft
where RG8X is not too lossy use RG213 for longer runs.

Bring a key, even if you do not know CW maybe some one in the group does.

Allison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: