Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF in a 2007 Honda Fit  (Read 975 times)
KF6DBZ

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »

Hello,
I have a Icom 706MIIG and i use it in my Honda Fit for 10 Meter work. I put a marine 12 volt battery in the back and put a Wilson CB antenna that was shortened to work on 10 meters. Honda cars have a small battery and i dont think it would take long for the 706 to drain it, thats why i have the marine battery in the back. I was wondering if anybody has made a install in a honda fit with any radio? What did you do for the power?

Thanks

Joel
KF6DBZ
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »

If the engine is running the vehicle battery shouldn't see any discharge at all.  Or are you interested in operating more while parked?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KF6DBZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »

I live in the Los Angeles area so i drive to Palos Verdes and park which gets me several hundred feet in the air, I would be using the car battery for a few hours with the engine off. I was also concerned about pulling 20 amps from the car when the engine is running as Honda tends to make everything small. I don't know what the alternator output is but i bet it is low.
A honda battery is expensive so i dont want to ruin it. I was thinking of maybe a device to charge the marine battery when i drive then i would have a charged battery when i have the engine off.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

In all ICE vehicles (no hybrids), Honda uses one of two sized alternators. They are 105 amp, and 130 amp. Both a bi-tri filer wound, and have 12 diodes. Maximum output almost occurs at idle, which is the benefit of using two windings.

Current, and voltage are measured by the engine CPU (there is a Hall device built into the 120 amp main battery fuse). If you use an isolator to charge the second battery back up, you run a chance of turning on the CEL, and dealers charge $50 to turn one off.

The batteries appear small compared to ones found in PU trucks. However, the starters Honda uses, are all planetary geared, and don't require much more than 400 amps inrush (≈100 amps while cranking), even in very cold temperatures.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: