Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention - what to buy?  (Read 4778 times)
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2011, 04:53:50 AM »

This will be the first time I will go to Dayton Hamvention.

Is there anything in particular I should consider buying there, instead of using "regular" channels (on-line or from my local ham radio dealer)?  Are there any Hamvention-specific bargains I should chase?  Is it worth to look for second-hand equipment there?

S. Bucki
KD8KQH
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »

Parts. Parts and accesories, used stuff in the flea market, novel items you have never seen before.  Then you can deal with the dealers inside and see if they have a good deal on something new you need.  I was in pickers heaven today(Fri.) with the great weather, negotiable prices that were good or great, in many cases. Sometimes people want too much or will not come off.  But more will work with you.  I was happy as a hog in chocolate pudding today with the vintage parts and goodies I got.  ANd one new radio that was a luxury, I guess.
KE7FD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »

We (Pittsburgh contingent) were there for Friday and Saturday; most of us left from our motel rooms Sunday morning.  One of the reasons for not going back to HARA Sunday morning was due to the deplorable conditions which are now prevalent at HARA Arena.  Yes, the sewers backed up and many flea market vendors were "flushed" out of their spots.  DARA, are you hearing any of this?  Walking through raw sewage does not enhance our Hamvention experience.  Hamvention is one of the few mass attended events where men stand in line to get to a rest room and the lines were long.  The aisles were more crowded this year with less room available for the scooter-bound hams; we’re glad they’re there and now able to attend whereas in the past without scooters that might not have been possible.  The layout of HARA does not lend itself as well as it might with such a hodge-podge of rooms.  The central area, the arena itself was pretty tight, and the facility as a whole is run down and needs major improvements.

There are several places in the Dayton area which could probably host the event other than HARA; closed malls being a likely alternative.  I’ll stop short of saying I’ll not go back in favor of other hamfests; there’s nothing quite so large as close as Dayton is to Pittsburgh.  If DARA ignores what I’ve been hearing on the air and other venues, the negatives will outweigh the positives of going back.
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:18:54 AM »

I know this is an old topic, but if you go again next year, Go for the vintage equipment! I don't know how much you know about HF operations, or electronics, but the boat anchors are always fun to restore, use, and collect. like another person said, parts and connectors too. grab a few odd power connectors, different style mic plugs, all kinds of obscure stuff. One day, you'll need them.

My only warning, if you buy ANY piece of TUBE type equipment, DO NOT STICK YOUR HAND IN IT. Unless you know what your doing, and have discharged ALL HV caps. Receivers can have hundreds of volts lurking around in there, enough to give Technicians Elbow!  Grin ( where you bang your arm on something while pulling away from the shock). And TRANSMITTING equipment is worse, with voltages in the 2-3 KV range. That'll throw ya across the room! And like I said earlier, discharge all caps. Google B+ voltage.

Don't let all that scare ya, Vintage radios are fun, but do require alot more caution.

-Alex
KC2VDM

(P.S. That Tech Elbow sayingis alot older than me.  Smiley )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: