Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $300 for a variance hearing in my back yard.  (Read 4593 times)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »

Can someone define "all your neighbors".  I assume its more than the people directly to the left, right, and across the street?

thanks

"All your neighbors" is whatever your local government declares it to be. Ask your local zoning people what it means; folks on eHam have no idea unless they live in the same town you do.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »

Can someone define "all your neighbors".  I assume its more than the people directly to the left, right, and across the street?

thanks

"All your neighbors" is whatever your local government declares it to be. Ask your local zoning people what it means; folks on eHam have no idea unless they live in the same town you do.

ok, thanks.  I didn't mean exactly. I meant was was the norm since this situation seems to be common.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »

I'm sure this varies, so you'd really need to get a copy of the ordinance or statute or whatever they're going by and see what "all the neighbors" means.

Here in the L.A. suburbs, it's everyone within a 500 foot radius.  That might be anywhere from "none" to "several" neighbors.  For me, it would be seven neighbors since we're on fairly small lots.

Also, here, if I provide them with a printed document stating they have no objection to my installing an XX foot tower at location YY in my yard, and they each sign and date this, that's sufficient evidence to bring to a hearing.  But any neighbor who won't sign it must be notified of the date, time and location of the hearing and they have the option to attend and object.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 02:58:11 PM »

"All your neighbors," everyone within some, defined by the municipality, distance from your property. For instance 500' feet of the property line.

David KF7CG
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »

ok, thanks.  I didn't mean exactly. I meant was was the norm since this situation seems to be common.

There is no norm; generalizations are useless.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB7TDG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »

Hi all....
I am a retired cartographer for the local municipality's planning, engineering and building departments.

Typically for a conditional use permit or a variance, I would draw up a map depicting all properties and owners within 250' of proposed property modification.

Then I would submit the map plus a list of property owners to the City Planner for review and/or forwarding to his/her secretary to be sent out by certified mail, with the map and a notification of meeting for the variance or conditional use.

These meetings are all outside the normal working hours of my City...and it all takes a lot of time, effort and money to pursue.

I also have been a ham for over 30 years....and this sounds like an ordinance that needs to be updated or changed.

Most of the ordinances have some kind of reasoning behind them, but this sounds like it would apply to every power pole and flag pole in the county!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »

In short, bureaucratic nonsense at your expense. Never ask for a permit!

By the way, why don't they hold these meetings during normal city working hours or give comp time to the employees for attending? One word, overtime, again at your expense. Isn't government wonderful! We need more of it don't we? Vote more intelligently next election!  Grin 
N0EQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »

re "All your neighbors"...

My next door neighbors filed for a variance to put up tennis court lights that
were higher than code allowed. The only notice anyone got from the city was
a form letter attached to a sign post in the front yard "Notice of zone variance
hearing" or something similar.

The neighbors did indeed do the right thing and came around to each of
us and showed us what they wanted to do, asking how we felt about it.
I appeared at the hearing in SUPPORT of the neighbor that wanted to
install the lights.

The variance was granted. Everyone is happy.
But nothing got mailed to anyone about the hearing.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »

I'm glad my county doesn't regulate such things. I don't live in an HOA-controlled area, so all I did was put up my tower (after explaining to my neighbors on all sides what I was doing). It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission. "I didn't realize a permit was required because federal law preempts local government having rules concerning amateur radio towers, and that's precisely what this is" will go a long way. Make sure you talk to your neighbors beforehand and that you'll have no issues with complaints from them after the tower is in the air. 6 years and counting, and only one neighbor TVI complaint. When I called the cable company to check for problems with his cable installation, he refused them entry to his home, which effectively negated my responsibility to assist him any further. He has not complained again, and out of politeness, I do ask him from time to time if he's had any more RFI problems with his TV, to which he always replies in the negative.
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »

The problem all citizens encounter these days is local governments using fees of any sort that they are able to think up to generate money.  All city/county employees are instructed to collect fees for anything they can, from $30 dog licences to absurd building permit fees.

The alternative is to raise taxes to cover the costs. The fees and amounts are determined by the officials *the people* elected.

Suppose somebody wants to put a $50,000 addition on their house. Somebody has to pay for the plan review, filing of the records, inspections, etc. - those things aren't free.

Should everyone's taxes be raised to pay for it? Or should the person who benefits pay?

Our government at all levels is out of control on spending and gold plated employee benifits.

What would you have them cut?

73 de Jim, N2EY

CUT EVERYTHING 10% to start with them review every program for places where real cuts can happen.

Its sad, when the private sector is hurting we have to cut ourselves, and every time some lovely government person comes and takes 20$ out of our had for some stupid reason thats cutting us by 20$.

The only way to be fare is cut across the board at least until the economy starts coming back around, and not just on the fake reports the fed puts out on jobs every week and then a few days latter its always adjusted up a bit after they get the praise from the media about job growth.

On the tower problem, its your property and I do not think anyone should be able to tell you what you can or can not have. Thank God I live in the country and no one cares what I do!

Del McCord
Tea Partying Ham...

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: