The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack asks the "DIY Community" for Input  (Read 11707 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »

Radio Shack is asking the "DIY community" what they would like to see in Radio Shack stores. Click the link below to learn more and leave your input.

http://blog.radioshack.com/post/2011/05/19/RadioShack-And-The-DIY-Community-You-Talked-Were-Listening.aspx

From http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?297853-Radio-Shack-ask-the-quot-DIY-Community-quot-for-Input

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:26:51 PM »

Well I am glad they appreciate the feedback as they are handy,
very close and open evenings and weekends. Yeah, they're OK
if you need an LED, switching transistor, or 555 but not
much else.

They want the "Top 3 items you as a DIY would like
Radio Shack to carry".
Top THREE?. I could name about 15,
real quick, THEN start in on "customer service".

I'm just lucky I have an "All Electronics" store 20 minutes away.
Last week spent $8 in there for parts that would have cost me $20-$25
at RS, and are higher quality.....
Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:30:14 PM by AD6KA » Logged
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »

1) Fewer cellphones.

2) Fewer cellphones.

3) Fewer cellphones.

That would be a good start.
K9WJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »

1) Fewer cellphones.

2) Fewer cellphones.

3) Fewer cellphones.

Agreed. How about employees there that actually know what component Im talking about?
Most are just computer/phone literate and have no idea what im talking about when I say I need a PL-259.

Didn't used to be that way....
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »

1) Fewer cellphones.

It takes about the same amount of time to do the basic pitch on a cellphone as it does to explain which switch you should buy for the fog lamps you want to install on the ol' Taurus... But the store and sales geek make a whole lot more money on the cell phone and service plan than they ever will on a DPST toggle switch.

The nature of the beast is to pay the bare minimum base salary then spiff and bonus the sales crew into turning service and extended warranty plans whenever possible. That's what pays the bills. If anyone ever asks you what the difference is between an extra large pizza and the OM who just bought a new soldering iron...

The pizza can feed a family of four.  Wink

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »

Most of the time I know where items are when the clerks don't!  What really frosts my behind is when I have them order something, it comes in, I'm notified that it is in, drive 20 miles (one way) only to have the clerk say "I can't find it.  You'll have to come back."

While I continue to use their components they are JUNK and I filed a comment telling them that.  This will have the same effect as yelling up a dead man's ass!
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:29:09 AM »

I agree and would like to see some more parts and pieces, but the profit made by selling one cell phone and a "plan" is more than selling 1000 2N2222 transistors or 1000 555 timers.

Dick  AD4U
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »

Easy to say, but bear in mind that it was the sale of those parts that helped old man Tandy turn the enterprise into what it is today. 

Times change, but if this endeavor can show the new owner's of the name that there is indeed support in the way of increased sales and traffic, it would be a good thing for us. 

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »

3WD:  I sure hope so..... that's why I filed my comment.  I recall several years ago, Newark Electronics started to increase their minimum order requirement until it finally reached $50.00.  I stopped ordering from them at that time.

Fast forward and we now have Newark selling with no minimum.  I can only believe they lost a lot of pennyante business that Mouser and Digikey picked up and are now booming businesses.

Perhaps Radio Shack is starting to realize this very thing and the cell phone business has become saturated and such a cut throat business that makes them hard to compete.
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »

I have to agree to the points in this thread so far!

After high school I worked at a local Radio Shack ('79-80) and back then it really was a "radio" shack and have a nice variety of parts, kits, etc. They had just started with the TRS-80 model 1-3 series when I was there. But even back then the average employee didn't know much. I became a ham in high school so I was called on alot for real hobbiests that wanted to do things.

There were times when I have visited a Shack and was just looking around where I just had to jump in and correct the load of crap that the salesperson was trying to push on the customer!

I went in a week or 2 ago to buy some contact cleaner which I had read somewhere was a good product and found this little 4 oz can cost $13! And it didn't even have the little plastic straw with it!!

For the most part I go with Mouser or Digi-Key. Used to use Jameco too.

Jeff
KC9QQM
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »

1) Fewer cellphones.

2) Fewer cellphones.

3) Fewer cellphones.

Look. They sell these because they make money. They are a high volume product. They would go bankrupt if they sold just radios or TV and such. Saying that, there is no reason why they cannot have a combination of the way they used to be, as well as modern products like cell phones.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »

I went in a week or 2 ago to buy some contact cleaner which I had read somewhere was a good product and found this little 4 oz can cost $13! And it didn't even have the little plastic straw with it!!
Good point!   They can be really pricey.
Radio Shack sells a 12 VDC 70mm plastic fan for $17.99, (Model: 273-243)
which you can get at All Electronics or MPJA for $3.00 or $4.00
....and they aren't pulls.

And a 40mm 12v "mini fan" at RS sells for $12.95 (Model: 273-240)
but for $2.00 at All Electronics and other places.
Ridiculous......
N8TNJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »

Just hiring somebody that knows a little about electronics instead of the cell phone pushing kids. Most of them don't know or even care about anything else.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »

Just hiring somebody that knows a little about electronics ... Most of them don't know or even care about anything else.

This has been said over and over and over, and it's true.

To some extent, the right software would help that. For example, people often (VERY often!) complain that when they ask for something as simple as a "PL-259" coax plug, they get a blank look. If Radio Shack had at least one microgram of brains, they would enable their employees to search for "PL-259" (and variations thereof) in catalog software.

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »

Unless they are in it for the long game I'm afraid it's too late for them to get all their electronic parts customers back. If they had well stocked stores, we would eventually write Radio Shack back into our shopping patterns. But my fear is that even if they start stocking like a real parts store, that we have already changed our habits they will give up before put them back in our habitual lineup.

Habits die hard.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: