Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad 2 Portable Ham Radio Tool  (Read 5492 times)
N4EDT

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2011, 06:24:36 AM »

I recently purchased a new iPad 2 and was very excited to move the Ham Radio apps I had on my IPhone over to the iPad.  I was not disappointed in the way Radarscope or the ARRL study programs worked on the iPad.  OepnAPRS-xl works better on the iPad 2.  The real surprise was the functionality of a program I had not thought of as a Ham Radio program, Good Reader, a PDF reader that allows you file and read PDF files.  I was able to load all of the forum info and other PDF material for Hamvention and found it to be very useable and "Handy."  The real surprise came when I realized I could load all of my manuals for the radios and accessories on the iPad.  Not only does it weigh less than the manuals, the PDF search function helps find the subjects I am looking for.   To make it even better, I can read the pages in low light and by expanding things I read them without my glasses.

This one feature will keep it close at hand for me.  It is particularly helpful for mobile or portable operations.  Field day.

Ed
W6USC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »

they are sure handy i put my QSL cards Scanned into it makes it great to see and show the QSL Cards to new hams,students,etc
N6YWU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »

I developed several iPad and iPhone apps for Morse Code that are currently in the iTunes App store.  Just updated the HotPaw Morse Decoder app to support QRQ CW decoding for speeds from 40 to 80 WPM.  The HotPaw Basic app also includes a command to play Morse Code sounds at those WPM speeds.  There's also a couple Morse Code training apps.  My MorseKey iambic keyer app is free, but I haven't updated it to look nice on the iPad yet.  http://www.hotpaw.com/rhn/hotpaw/
KE7IPY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:28:39 PM »

I'm not sure about the capabilities of the ipad2 camera, but on a phone that has a focusing camera I use the camera as a portable photocopier/scanner. Just take a picture of the document. If you have a device that can focus at short range, and has an led "flash"  you get good results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: