Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WB2JKJ a scam that Never ENDS  (Read 30793 times)
W1IT

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »

Cheesy
I was curious after years of seeing Joey, WB2JKJ ads for hand me down radio gear ostensibly to generate amateur radio in public schools. He has a fairly good size soliciation in Q Street and on their web site.

Wondering, I asked an independent no amateur investigator to call his operations. Realise I had no ill intent just curiousity.

Joey was on air with the Retired Teachers School House net when the investiagtor called. However Joey did return the call.
What he said was rather a spin or was it a smoke and mirrors routine.
When asked how many schools his organization had provided equipment for in the last five years, there was a pause and only after thought did he mention one school in Florida.

When asked what he did with money he said he placed other ads in Q street
When asked if anything else he said he went to Las Vegas every year with the cash. Nobody is observing what he does there or even if he goes. He says its to tell teachers what a great thing amatuer radio is and so it appears its a promotional while he is in Vegas.

The investigators asked why Vegas, no answer, but Joey said he planned a summer camp for kids on a beach in Maine.
Asked why a resort or beach he said, " we have to go where the kids are."

Well, I do think at least Joey needs to be a lot more transparent with what he does with money donated and publish for the record the disbursement of his carities fund.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:40 AM »

P.T. Barnum, of the Barnum and Baily fame, was quoted as saying, "There's one born every minute and two to take him!" 

The main problem with JKJ is that I never thought of it first!  :-)
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »

He'd BETTER account for money made
from donations & sales, since he lists his outfit as an
"IRS approved 501 (c)(3) charity"
and
"Get the tax credit and help a worthy cause."

Funny thing....searching every which way from Sunday,
WB2JKJ and The Radio Club of Junior High School 22 and Educom
DO NOT APPEAR in the IRS's Publication 78:
Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations described in Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986,
is a list of organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.

Donors may also verify 501(c)(3) organizations on the web-based, searchable IRS list of charitable organizations
Try for yourself.....http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »

Funny thing....searching every which way from Sunday,
WB2JKJ and The Radio Club of Junior High School 22 and Educom
DO NOT APPEAR in the IRS's Publication 78:
Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations described in Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986,
is a list of organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions.

Donors may also verify 501(c)(3) organizations on the web-based, searchable IRS list of charitable organizations
Try for yourself.....http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/

[/quote]

This is my point. He has a funny picture of him on a podium in Las Vegas, but does not show anybody else in the lecture hall. Claims he hands out promotional literature to educators. Where are they?
He may be subject to IRS huge back taxes on the loot over the years?
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:57:45 AM »

Search for "THE RADIO CLUB OF JHS 22 NYC INC."

That must be it.

73, Alan N5NA
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »

Search for "THE RADIO CLUB OF JHS 22 NYC INC."

That must be it.

73, Alan N5NA

He is no longer a teacher at that school. How do you incorporate a club with you as CEO and connect it with a public school, you no longer teach at? Isn't that a little odd?

http://goofyradio.blogspot.com/2011/05/smoking-gun-wb2jkj.html
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »

He ripped me off on an Ebay sale and then sent me threatening e-mail. Not a very savory character at all.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:25:39 AM »

This guy is a cad and a scammer.
More will be revealed.
In this photo he is announcing he will be speaking at a "Teachers Conference"
in July 2011 at "The Las Vegas Plaza Hotel"
(Check out the home made plywood sign on the podium!)
http://goofyradio.blogspot.com/2011/05/wb2jkj-and-las-vegas-plaza-hotel.html

Hmmmm.....BUT according to the local Las Vegas TV station,
the Las Vegas Plaza Hotel closed for renovations November 2010
....for a YEAR AND A HALF.....opening MAY 2012.
  Grin
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/13146915/las-vegas-plaza-hotel-to-close-for-renovations

He refuses to list organizations and schools he helps, yearly revenue and expenses,
any of that. How can he keep his 501(c)(3) tax exempt contributions status?

I think this guy is headed for a big fall.....like prison!
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:58:18 AM »

Hmmmm.....BUT according to the local Las Vegas TV station,
the Las Vegas Plaza Hotel closed for renovations November 2010
....for a YEAR AND A HALF.....opening MAY 2012.
  Grin
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/13146915/las-vegas-plaza-hotel-to-close-for-renovations

He refuses to list organizations and schools he helps, yearly revenue and expenses,
any of that. How can he keep his 501(c)(3) tax exempt contributions status?

I think this guy is headed for a big fall.....like prison!
[/quote]

This is like a bad movie, he has posted that is where he will convince educators to bring amateur radio to kids. I have done a few searchs on web and best testimont was on QRZ way back in 2002 ! Just think that was the canary dead in the mine and Joey is still scamming. Bet he has quite an Ebay account.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:35:11 AM »

Is he still putting out those "broadcasts" on 40m in the morning?

Mark N1UK
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »

I was curious after years of seeing Joey, WB2JKJ ads for hand me down radio gear ostensibly to generate amateur radio in public schools.

Thank you for this. I have never seen anyone say what's being said here, but I came to this conclusion many years ago. I'm sure many others have, too; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »

I was curious after years of seeing Joey, WB2JKJ ads for hand me down radio gear ostensibly to generate amateur radio in public schools.

Thank you for this. I have never seen anyone say what's being said here, but I came to this conclusion many years ago. I'm sure many others have, too; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.
Angry

Just follow the trail. He has had a booming trade on Ebay, yet he is no longer a teacher. The PS 22 school does not know who he is. Even if they did, he travels to Las Vegas and stays at a hotel that is closed? Well, how much more smoke needs to get in your eyes?
KP2Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »

I just sent an email to the ARRL ad department asking them to check out the information on this tread. ARRL is still running his ads as of June 2011. 

Tony  KP2Z
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

"I just sent an email to the ARRL ad department asking them to check out the information on this tread. ARRL is still running his ads as of June 2011. "

You're wasting your time. How long has this gone on, 20 years? 30 Years? More? Anyone have a starting date for this?
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »

I don't bother with him or any other scammers.  He also makes copies of copy right manuals and sells them.  That is another story for another day.

I know enough new ops and disadvantaged ops should I choose to help out, can do so locally. I don't need a middle man to do it, skimming the top as he goes.  I never felt that whole operation of Joey's was quite legit.  Doesn't smell right, probably isn't.

Regarding IRS laws, etc., the majority of the populace in this country (well over 50% documented) don't even pay taxes.  One more reason for a flat tax I suppose.

Just like the lids on 14.275, that nonsense won't end until someone passes on, then likely, someone else will take up the activity.  It has been around for decades with little to no enforcement.  Why should JKJ be any different.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: