Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WB2JKJ a scam that Never ENDS  (Read 28310 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2011, 02:46:55 AM »

Playing devil's advocate a bit here:

If this guy has such a bad reputation etc, why does he have a 100% positive feedback reputation on Ebay?

Simon
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2011, 03:34:29 AM »

He certainly didn't used to. There were quite a few complaints. I am not sure how he got it cleaned up

Mark N1UK
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »

Playing devil's advocate a bit here:

If this guy has such a bad reputation etc, why does he have a 100% positive feedback reputation on Ebay?

Simon

Simon,

Don't let that fool you. Plus! We didn't say he was ripping people off on EBAY. The products he's selling on EBAY is more likely the donated gear that's supposed to go to the so called ham programs in schools nation wide. At least in the NYC area but I can tell you for sure it's not. Neither is the money generated from the EBAY sales.

Trust us! This guy has been doing it for years and now with the Internet people are able to get the word out and discuss it with greater exposure. To bad it wasn't sooner when the big ham radio boom was happening 20 and 30 years ago.

73!
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »

Several years go, I bought a Dentron MT-3000A tuner from this character on Ebay. It arrived okay and was in mint condition as advertised. In hindsight, it does not make sense to me why someone would donate a mint condition MT-3000A to this guy.

What else was odd about this deal however is that when I asked for his street address, he went ballistic with email replies, asking me what is your problem, etc.. Irrational response to say the least.

To say that his whole operation does not make sense, would be understatement.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »

Several years go, I bought a Dentron MT-3000A tuner from this character on Ebay. It arrived okay and was in mint condition as advertised. In hindsight, it does not make sense to me why someone would donate a mint condition MT-3000A to this guy.

What else was odd about this deal however is that when I asked for his street address, he went ballistic with email replies, asking me what is your problem, etc.. Irrational response to say the least.

To say that his whole operation does not make sense, would be understatement.

Acting irrational sounds like him!

That was my experience when I simply asked if he could move his already long QSO just 5KHz up from the 144.200 SSB call frequency. "He acted not" like a influential educational teaching mature adult but more like a disgruntle C.B.'er.

Guy makes me sick and even more sick on his obnoxious 40m Apple net.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »

IRS Info Below from 2008 postcard filed

Tax Period:
2008 (08/01/2008 - 07/31/2009)
Employer Identification Number (EIN):
13-3308442
Legal Name:
THE RADIO CLUB OF JHS 22 NYC INC
Mailing Address:
po box 1952
new york, NY 10002
United States
Doing Business As:
Gross receipts not greater than:
$25,000
Organization has terminated:
No
Principal Officer's Name and Address:
joe fairclough
91 shore rd
glen cove, NY 11542
United States
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 04:19:23 AM »

The BBB has a rating system for charities, and one of the criteria for a good charity is how much of the received income actually goes to do the work listed.  It's strange he's not on their rather extensive list, but his website is rather loud and in your face.  I guess the IRS is too busy to investigate this guy.

Bruce, KK4IKO
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »

I'm retired, so I had the time to do some research on WB2JKJ, here's what I found, or rather didn't find.

While the EIN is apparently valid for tax purposes, the organization is NOT listed on the IRS Part 78 database, which was updated a week ago. I searched by name, location, and EIN for the entire state of New York. (over 40,000 entries).  It makes me wonder if the tax exemptions he issues are LEGAL.

Likewise, the Better Business Bureau has NO listing, either: and THEY checked by organization name, phone number and mailing address.

You can make up your own mind, but it would appear that there is considerable flying below the radar going on here.  

Having said that, I believe the organization is real, and may actually be doing something worthwhile, but I can think of only 1 reason why it's not listed with the IRS as a valid charity.

Bruce, KK4IKO

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:30:38 AM by KK4IKO » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »

I'm retired, so I had the time to do some research on WB2JKJ, here's what I found, or rather didn't find.

While the EIN is apparently valid for tax purposes, the organization is NOT listed on the IRS Part 78 database, which was updated a week ago. I searched by name, location, and EIN for the entire state of New York. (over 40,000 entries).  It makes me wonder if the tax exemptions he issues are LEGAL.

Likewise, the Better Business Bureau has NO listing, either: and THEY checked by organization name, phone number and mailing address.

You can make up your own mind, but it would appear that there is considerable flying below the radar going on here.  

Having said that, I believe the organization is real, and may actually be doing something worthwhile, but I can think of only 1 reason why it's not listed with the IRS as a valid charity.

Bruce, KK4IKO

There you have it!

My dissaproval of his confrontational actions with him has made me really disgusted with this guy and when you listen to how loud and obnoxious his NETS are (Much like his website as you mentioned) I wouldn't want my kid mimicking him. He'd get his ass kicked in the street.

I appreciate your investigative pursuit for the truth. It lends credibility to what many of us have been saying and know about this guy despite his claims of his long running charity that glow with his own raved success's which I know are highly exaggerated and false.  

I think those that continue too associate with him and attend his NETS are those that like his attention and activity while they have their morning coffee for entertainment. I'd wish they reevaluate who their associating them selves with and the type of message their sending along which are enabling his actions.

This guy is as bad as a corrupt politician sinking the American people with false hopes ,dreams, and miss used tax money!!

73!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:10:27 PM by N2RRA » Logged
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »

Addendum to my above post.

The part 78 I referred to, is actually Publication 78.  I talked to a tax attorney and a tax accountant, and neither could say what the exact purpose of that Pub. 78 is, or, that they even heard of it.  It is possible that if a tax-exempt organization shows less than a certain amount of income, it won't be on the list.  I'm not able to confirm that right now.

The e-postcard shown by KE4DRN is a short tax return form that tax-exempt organizations can use if their claimed income is less than $25,000. 

My own thought is this:  if a charitable entity is not listed on Pub. 78, or is not in the BBB database, I'm not donating to them, unless I happen to know them personally.

If there are any of you out there who have experience in 501c(3) tax matters, please feel free to enlighten us.

Bruce, KK4IKO

N4CVX

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »

I'm sure glad I found this thread and all the info here.  I was just about to donate a large amount of gear to his Charity.  What made me suspicious was the reply to my email where he replied that "he would be in my area very soon".  COnsidering I live in the Nashville area and he is supposed to be in NYC .. well, I thought I would do some checking.  This fellow reminds me of a ham on the island of Anguilla -- VP2EZ (Jerry White AKA "Chalky White")  He maintained that he was blind, received ludicrous amounts of "helping donations, books for the Blind and so forth.  Yet when I arrived on Anguilla in 1985 I discovered that he drove a motor scooter all over the island, had a VW Van which he drove, was not blind but somewhat "vision impaired".  Anyway, I lived in VP2E land for some 10 years doing work for the Government and had a number of contacts with him and his wife.  To make a long story short, one of the big contest stations at the other end of the island complained about him and another expat ham, VP2ESL (a Swiss Guy) and VP2EZ was ejected from the island as Persona non Grata.  All in all, Chalky was a charming (most of the times) fellow very typical of a white man gone native in the island.  ANyway, after reviewing this whole thread about WB2JKJ I am inclined to believe what a number of people say about him and his efforts.  As for me, I am going to donate my gear to the local ham club which I know for a fact is a Tax Exempt status organization.  I don't have a whole lot of time on this Earth, now, but am making every effort to be charitable and accepting that some folks just manage to get rewarded by using other people.  Their loss.  73s, Dave (N4CVX, ex-DA1BB, ex-VP2EHF)   SK
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »

hi,

Back in 2012 I sent a fax letter to the Principal, Edgar Lin, of JHS 22
requesting information about the radio club but never received a reply.

The charity must make several IRS tax forms available for public inspection or copying.
Anyone can request them, getting them is another thing!

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Public-Disclosure-and-Availability-of-Exempt-Organizations-Returns-and-Applications:-Documents-Subject-to-Public-Disclosure

73 james
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:45:47 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KI6OS

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »

I read with much interest all of the threads and comments.  Well, I'd like to donate to them, as I don't know in my area (CA) which charity to donate old ham stuff to.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks a lot.

73, Karen
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »

The safe answer for donation is your local ham club that you are a member of. I've never seen a club yet that doesn't need a few dollars and donated equipment is easily sold and proceeds put in the treasury.

I have been skeptical on the WB2JKJ deal for years.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »

hi,

Your local school district may have an active club,
the community college and university is also an option for
donating equipment and my get you the tax deduction.

73 james
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: