Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance licence grandfather to Extra class  (Read 47274 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »

I think I might have you beat... I was a Novice in 1978, went (to FCC examination) for code and theory test for General and tried and passed the Advanced in 1982, eventually became inactive and stuck at Advanced for 26 years. Only in 2008 did I finally get active again and get my Extra.

So no, there's no brownie points for being stuck at advanced for a long time. You gotta take the test. I had to take the test.

Going to Extra is no big deal. The test is not at all like the Advanced and Extra written exam back in 1982. Back then it was all about tube biasing, phone patches, L and Pi networks, measuring input powers to grounded grid linears, etc all taken in a FCC office. Today the exam is mostly about more modern stuff and taken at a VEC session. So I had to learn a lot of new stuff (including amateur TV rules and rules about ground command of space satellites!) but I passed a VEC exam session with no problem. I'm sure you could do the same. I share your frugality, and would like to encourage you that you can practice the exam online if you don't want to buy a book, and a VEC exam session fee is cheaper than admission at Dayton ($20 or $25).
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

Thanks for the response.  I have never been to Dayton and am only a few hours away so was thinking of going anyway on Saturday.   Taking the test there would be like making the admission to the hamfest only $5  Wink   

I was a Novice in Fall 1976, upgraded to General and then Advanced in early 1977, then went QRT from 1978 till 2008 so the story is similar here (except I have yet to upgrade to extra...).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:46:00 PM by K9AIM » Logged
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »

code Killing was one of the FCC stupidest of moves but fully supported by HAM busine$$ to increase sales/memberships; ARRL/W5YI, AES/HRO, Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu/Alinco, etc! [/b]  Huh
I know a couple of very expert weak signal UHF fanatics that never bothered with the top level exam because it gets them things that are of no value to their interests. I will instantly defer to them on matters of low noise preamps for 70cm or aerial noise temperature or whatever, NOT because of any exam, but because of their expertise. Pride in knowing how to do something difficult is far more worthy then pride in having passed an exam (Especially one with an open question pool that I suspect a determined 12 year old could fairly easily pass by rote).

Be proud of what you can make the radios do, or what you can build, or what the people you elmered have accomplished or whatever, not of what tests and exams you passed.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just because I earned my P.E. back when it was across all disciplines of engineering does not make me a "better" P.E. than someone who does the legwork to earn a P.E. today where they can specialize. Everything we learn (and earn) has a "best if used before..." date stamp upon it if we do not continue to learn and grow in our hobby or profession.

Smugly sitting in a corner and resting on your laurels as the world continues to move on by is idiotic. Contribute in some way, use all of that great, hardly earned knowledge and wisdom to Elmer someone.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:21:00 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »

Very well said Ms Hayes !!
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

The FCC addressed the issue of Advanced licenses when they restructured licensing.
Bob
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:18 AM »

I am an Advanced Class licensee who received my license in 1977. On 40m CW, RTTY has encroached almost all the way down to 7.025 leaving little room for CW.  The easy answer is to say I should upgrade to Extra -- but granting Advanced class licensees all Extra privileges in the CW sections of 15, 20, 40 and 80 meters would have been the right thing to do.  

Unless there were still Advanced *after* the FCC did away with code requirements... then it should be granted to any Advanced who was licensed prior to whenever the 13 wpm FCC office code test requirement was eliminated.  (I am only talking about what the equitable change should have been; not whatever was advised and passed)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:28:25 AM by K9AIM » Logged
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »

Just take the test.

Clif
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »

Just take the test.

Clif

Smiley
KI8BL

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 06:12:14 PM »

Guess that makes me a "Slow-code Extra" now.  Hi Hi.

Cheers,

David/KG6IRW

Exactly my Point same as a no code,and as far as iam... Your a no code Extra.. i passed 13 to get my general.then took the 20 and pass with 1 minute perfect copy... i hate the no code Extra.. no extra should be with out 20wpm!!!

73 De ki8bl
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »

Your statement is reflective of your character. If you hate the structure of the hobby, then leave it. Your attitude only serves to create friction, and discord in the hobby. Unless you are mentoring a ham, promoting a good attitude, and allowing others to learn, you have no place in the hobby. I can see why you didn't quote his entire post. Only because you know it would make your post look silly, and selfish.

Guess that makes me a "Slow-code Extra" now.  Hi Hi.

Cheers,

David/KG6IRW

Exactly my Point same as a no code,and as far as iam... Your a no code Extra.. i passed 13 to get my general.then took the 20 and pass with 1 minute perfect copy... i hate the no code Extra.. no extra should be with out 20wpm!!!

73 De ki8bl
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »

Yes ,The Advance License should be combined with the Extra. The Tech with the General and a new BASIC License started for beginners!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 03:42:50 AM »

Yes ,The Advance License should be combined with the Extra.

There is no "Advance" license. It's the Advanced license.

If that's what you meant, why should Advanced be combined with the Extra? There is no real cost to keeping them separate.

The Tech with the General and a new BASIC License started for beginners!

Combining classes like that simply means that the lower-class hams get a free, no-test upgrade to the higher class. Which will tick off the higher class hams who actually earned the license. Also sets a very bad precedent.

There have been several formal proposals to FCC which included such things - and all were rejected by FCC. Their answer in essence was "just take the test".

73 de Jim, N2EY

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:31:50 AM by N2EY » Logged
KI8BL

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »

no one should be a no code,or 5wpm Extra,thats why its EXTRA sorry your so small minded and stupid.to see they want it to sell radios nothing more
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »

no one should be a no code,or 5wpm Extra,thats why its EXTRA sorry your so small minded and stupid.to see they want it to sell radios nothing more
You do know, that data/digital signals are the new CW?
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

You obviously are angry over the code requirement being dropped. Complain to the FCC. To come here and offend other hams who are no-code or 5wpm license holders is a reflection on YOU, not them. What a tired, old, topic. As far as dropping the code requirement to sell more radios, lol, that just isn't true.

Please proof read the posts that you submit. Your sentence structure and grammar leave much to be desired.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: