Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "CW Get" settings?  (Read 3798 times)
KD5VHF

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »

I downloaded the CW Get program,hooked up a jumper from my rigs headphone jack to the mic jack on the computer,tuned in a QSO, set the input to external mic,out put to speakers then click apply. 
All I get is jibberish like this (copied from the display)...
ieee e e t e ti tt ee  te ttttt eeee ieee eeee w eee tetetet teet tee mcattie aoniekttmeeteieeeened.
I'm guessing I have something set wrong but see no directions how to set this up.
WI2D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »

Unset 'AutoThr' and 'AFC' buttons on the tool bar.
Select your tone frequency on the top spectrum analyzer area.
Set your signal threshold in the bottom oscillogram window.

Hope this helps.

For sending practice I switched from the CW Get to the Digital Master 780 (comes with Ham Radio Deluxe).
DM780 has stricter requirements to spaces between symbols and forces me to produce better code.

Andrey - WI2D
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »

To get good results out of CW Get, you need a _strong_ signal (good S/N ratio) with a good fist (paddle or keyboard CW works well, most "straight-key" CW doesn't).

1.  Make sure that "Speed Lock" is turned off.

2.  You should be able to see the peak in the spectrum analyzer [upper window] at the QSO frequency.  You must click on that peak.

Unlike WI2D, I _like_ the "auto threshold" feature.  But I agree with him about AFC -- turn it off.

Charles
KD5VHF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:10:52 AM »

Thanks for the help.  I hope this will work well for me as I would like to work CW but I can't seem to copy it(been trying for 8 years now). I can send with a paddle OK and have been told I have a nice fist so this may be just what I need.

Update:
I tried the suggestions and it works! As long as a signal is a "5" copy there is very little not copied and alot of that I was able to fill in just from what I either heard or put the pieces of the puzzle together. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!I can see a CW qso in the near future(Maybe tonight).
73 & gud dx , Mike
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:08:36 AM by KD5VHF » Logged
WI2D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »

As for CW copy from the air try MultiPSK. It is one of the best CW decoders so far.
In the free version, however, its great 'QRP decoding' feature available for only 10 minutes after each program restart.
CW Skimmer is another good but more expensive alternative.

Currently software can not substitute human CW copy but provides some 'crutches' until you master it.

Have fun!
Andrey - WI2D
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »

I use the AF Tune on my rig and it helps CW Get to decode a lot more cleanly especially on the noisy bands like 40m and 80m

73 Mark N1UK
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »

I would like to work CW but I can't seem to copy it (been trying for 8 years now).

May I suggest downloading and studying The Art & Skill of Radio Telegraphy from http://www.qsl.net/n9bor/n0hff.htm

Following the suggestions there, you'll be as good as this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ed0TSp0gs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: