Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yaesu FT-857D making a rhythmic ticking sound?  (Read 5576 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »

Ok, I got my 857D yesterday, got it all hooked up in my car, in the driveway,  threw a End FedZ 20 meter antenna out the window around a small tree.
On just about every band I’m hearing a ticking sound in the background. I turned the car off, which reduced the static quite a bit, but the ticking is still there. The ticks are about 1 second apart. Its faint, but it is there.
I’ll read the manual today and look for anything.
Is this some setting or local interference?
thanks
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:46:05 AM »

Did you think about calling the local bomb squad?  Shocked

Seriously, disconnect the antenna and see if the noise is still there. If so, take the radio out of the vehicle and hook it up to a base power supply and see if the noise is still there. If so, take it to another ham's house and see if the noise is still there. If so, and neither of you can figure it out, call Yaesu and see if they have any ideas. If not, its time for free warranty repair.  Cry

However, it sounds like some type of engine noise problem either coming in on the power leads or being received through the antenna system.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:48:43 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:54:25 AM »

Did you think about calling the local bomb squad?  Shocked

Seriously, disconnect the antenna and see if the noise is still there. If so, take the radio out of the vehicle and hook it up to a base power supply and see if the noise is still there. If so, take it to another ham's house and see if the noise is still there. If so, and neither of you can figure it out, call Yaesu and see if they have any ideas. If not, its time for free warranty repair.  Cry

However, it sounds like some type of engine noise problem either coming in on the power leads or being received through the antenna system.  Wink

thanks the ticking has almost a static white noise like sound to it. All I was really wanting to do last night was make one contact then go to bed. I failed.  But I'll try again today from another location and better antenna positioning.

thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »

Visit my web site, and read the Noise ID article.

WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »

the sound followed me to my QTH at lunch. So it must be the car.
W7WX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »

Some electric fences have a pulsating tick sound to them.  Maybe one of the neighbors by chance?  Just a thought.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »

Ok, I got my 857D yesterday, got it all hooked up in my car, in the driveway,  threw a End FedZ 20 meter antenna out the window around a small tree.
On just about every band I’m hearing a ticking sound in the background. I turned the car off, which reduced the static quite a bit, but the ticking is still there. The ticks are about 1 second apart. Its faint, but it is there.
I’ll read the manual today and look for anything.
Is this some setting or local interference?
thanks

Tried another QTH and put the Antenna up about 12 foot in a tree and the ticking sound was GONE!

I have no idea what it was or what it was there. No other conditions changed in the car, however I put a 50 foot piece of Coax on the antenna and before I only had 3 foot patch cable. perhaps it was picking up some sort of relay noise from the car itself?

anyway, problem solved. thats for the help!
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »

Likely source was something in the car that is never off  -do you have keyless entry ? and alarm system ? Tire Pressure monitoring?
KD0GPZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »

Did you have a smartphone in your pocket? My Blackberry and my wife's iPhone make any nearby speakers make a ticking sound, or sometimes a rhythmic buzzing. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:46:22 PM by KD0GPZ » Logged
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »

The noise intervals made me think the same as W7WX, Electric Fencer. Any livestock near you?

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: