Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where the hell can I find my old CW proficiency ? ? ?  (Read 4399 times)
K8SOR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »

Hey Bob,
Check out the SKCC---Straight Key Century Club       http://www.skccgroup.com/
They're a great bunch of CW ops, will qrs to almost nothing and be glad to help you get ur speed back up.
73, Skip
NT0A

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »

They're a great bunch of CW ops, will qrs to almost nothing and be glad to help you get ur speed back up.
Thanks, Skip. I'll look for the web site. I've been screwing around with the keyer while listening around on the ham bands, and the fist is starting to improve, but I still have to concentrate on the formation of individual letters rather than words.

Rick, N5XM, had an excellent suggestion, and one that I had thought about before. Just get some text and send it. He suggested the editorial page, but I might just generate a whole set of random 5-letter code groups and send that.

I must agree with K7CHL that much of the high speed CW (40wpm+) has to be computer generated. It's just too perfect. In the 30 odd years since I got my license I doubt seriously that the amateur radio community has been blessed with a plethora of amateurs with perfect fists and ears.

73 Bob NT0A
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »

Hey Bob,
73, Skip
I'll second that. They have a list of "normally used" freqs on all the bands, starting points as it were. Down a bit if QRS, up a bit if feeling frisky. The other end of that 7wpm QSO might be someone who could go to 30 at the drop of a hat; might not know if it's someone working thru the same learning process or - like often happens - some really accomplished op just hanging around to help someone else and answer their CQ. Good areas to hang out on. They consider 7114 their 'Elmer' freq and it's often monitored; generous folks.

A few 20min QSO's with some listening on either side is much more satisfying personally than phone. And few days ago when bands were hosed CW was THE thing that was working for me, but then you all knew that can happen.
(When I get discouraged I go to N1EA's page)
 Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

May I suggest that reading this will help?

The Art & Skill of Radio Telegraphy
http://www.qsl.net/n9bor/n0hff.htm

Download it, and print it if you want (NOT a waste of paper for anyone who wants to improve their CW skills.)

NT0A

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »

I'll second that. They have a list of "normally used" freqs on all the bands, starting points as it were. Down a bit if QRS, up a bit if feeling frisky. The other end of that 7wpm QSO might be someone who could go to 30 at the drop of a hat; might not know if it's someone working thru the same learning process or - like often happens - some really accomplished op just hanging around to help someone else and answer their CQ. Good areas to hang out on. They consider 7114 their 'Elmer' freq and it's often monitored; generous folks.

Like I said, I will check that out.

A few 20min QSO's with some listening on either side is much more satisfying personally than phone. And few days ago when bands were hosed CW was THE thing that was working for me, but then you all knew that can happen.
(When I get discouraged I go to N1EA's page)
 Smiley

I agree that a good CW QSO is better than one on phone, but I must admit that I enjoy a good rag chew from time to time with someone interesting on SSB.

73 Bob NT0A
NT0A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »

Download it, and print it if you want (NOT a waste of paper for anyone who wants to improve their CW skills.)

Downloaded it is. Printed it is not. That will have to wait until I am back at the home QTH and the XYL is not watching to see that I am printing out another half a ream on ham radio.

73 Bob NT0A
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 07:01:29 AM »

The quick-n-dirty answer to the original question is that proficiency is under neath all that practice that you haven't used in a long time.  There really isn't any short-cuts, but you at least remember what's possible, which is certainly a help.
 - 'Doc

(Unless your memory is sort of like mine.  I can remember being -the- absolute expert with code!  If you asked others, they probably wouldn't have the same opinion, you know??)
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »

After a 35 year hiatus, I had the same problem.
I was amazed that I could not even send on a straight key at even 5 wpm.

My solution was simple - practice receiving each day for about 20 minutes.
Then when my receiving was reasonable, I started using the straight key.
It was not a quick process - six months later I can read 38WPM and send 25wpm on
a straight key with precision.

Once I mastered reading code and was good on the straight key, I went to a bug key,
which I hated, and then to a paddle which I love.
The problem with going to a paddle straight away is that you have to read the morse
while sending it, so its a chicken and egg situation!

My recommendation, get a PC program (CWtype is a good one) for sending morse and
cut and paste text into its send window. Then try and read the code in your head even if you
hardly understand anything, then after a while reduce the code speed and you will find you
can read more. In other words, for a while , set the code speed to  a speed a little higher
than you can read, listen for a while then reduce the speed.

Forget sending at first, get proficient at receceiving then comes sending.

It takes time since you need to re-activate the brains pathways which were in use before,
but it will happen  if you perservere.

Good luck and 73s
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: