Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of club do you belong to? Is it fun or.......not so much  (Read 5028 times)
KF7ITG

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:32:13 PM »

I was cruising the web looking at some interesting Amateur Radio sites when I happend across a site sponsored by K9JY. He has some incites related to Amateur Radio Clubs that I think may be of intrest to some.

http://k9jy.com/blog/2010/04/26/lose-your-ham-radio-club-members-one-easy-step/

and .................

http://k9jy.com/blog/2010/05/07/your-ham-radio-club-general-purpose-or-specialty-club/

73 JAMES
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:29:10 AM by KF7ITG » Logged
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »

I had a great experience in my first radio "club".  It was a military base club/MARS station WA4ZUA at CINCLANT FLT in Norfolk, VA.  Great bunch of guys and we were always getting into something radio oriented and enjoyable. Field days were a  hoot. I thought the civilian clubs would be similar but boy was I WRONG.  In my experience the local clubs are by and for the few and not the many.  I'll usually join and pay my dues to support the clubs repeater(s) if I use them, but it's been a few years since I've even used a repeater.
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 05:46:59 AM »

I quit the club scene years ago. Seems like (back in the day when I didn't know any better) it was nothing but arguing and politics and I eventually got burned out on the hobby and because it I sold all my equipment. It wasn't fun anymore. Seems like when you have other people involved with something whether it be a ham club or some other group activity you always have people that cant agree, or make a promise to help out then ditch you at the last minute so the whole ordeal just becomes a big hassle. To make a 5000 page book short, I ran a repeater system for a local club years ago and the support was always promised but it was always NONE. It all fell on my back both financially and physically. I eventually ended up buying out the system, invested a lot of money in it, and fixed it up really nice. I got finally tired of the continued politics and offered to sell it back to the club but they didn't want it because I essentially wouldn't give it to them as a donation so I just sold it to someone else and walked away. This is the kind of things that you get into with clubs.

I got back active in the hobby a couple years ago and have had more fun just enjoying it for myself and doing my own activities than ever before. I once again seem to get invitations to come to this or that clubs meeting, and some repeated invitations but I just politely refuse and will continue to do so. I have friends that are still in different ham clubs and seems like their always complaining about some aspect of the club. That takes me back to a time I just assume to forget. It's nice to breath easy and know that when I get tired of operating all I have to do is flip the power switch, walk away for a while and not be concerned with nobody but myself. I personally will never again have anything to do with a club or group whether ham related or not. In my opinion it takes all the enjoyment out of the hobby and becomes one major headache. These days I just do things that don't require me to depend on other people and their false promises. Ironically, as bad as it all sounds the problems are in the past and I continue to be friends and communicate on the air with many of the now defunct club members. Hope some have a better experience than I have had. Clubs are like drugs, just say no  Wink

73's all

Jason

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:23:51 AM by K4EKG » Logged
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:31:18 AM »

I'm in a club, and I'm currently the club secretary. We have a weekly net on the repeater, and I'm net control at least once/month. Our finances are in good shape, and attendance is generally around 20 or so (except when our meeting coincides with Dayton). I hope that nobody at our meetings feels belittled or trivialized. There are 4 or 5 clubs in the immediate area, so I would hope that any offended hams would try one of the other clubs before giving up entirely.

We have programs, except for the November meeting which is club business, and December which is the club Christmas party. We do public service events, and generally have a good turnout on Field Day.

To summarize, I have a lot of fun in the club, and have gotten some great deals on gear.

My DX contacts are few because I operate QRP, and I'm still learning/practicing Morse code. Nobody makes fun of what DX I do manage, though. On Field Day last year, because of my inexperience with contests, I logged *one* contact. After that, one of the club members let me use his station for the IARU HF contest in order to help me improve my contesting techniques. As a result, I've improved and I'm ready to do better for this year's field day.

-- Tom
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »

I belong to a gardening club. It's a lot of fun.
There's FAR more laughter at one of our meetings than
in all the ham radio club gatherings I've been to combined.

We have informal "meetings" once in a while at someone's
house, but no officers and no dues. We have informal
competitions, like who can grow the biggest tomato,
or who can grow the biggest dahlia.  We exchange
plants, cuttings, bulbs, seeds, growing tips, etc.
Sometimes we all get together and fix up elderly people's yards.

There's more to life than ham radio,
still my "#1 hobby".
73, Ken  AD6KA

K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:30:01 PM »

I mostly avoid ham clubs. IMHo they are nothing but crap. Im in a model train club and we have fun operating and working on the club layout which fills the entire basment of a restored train depot. Everyone has fun and everyone gets along and shares interests unlike the ham clubs here that are all about bickering and putting down people... I have more fun with the train club than ANY ham club ive ever been to. Like the previous poster said theres more to life than ham radio.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: