Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad manners and jamming has become the norm  (Read 5385 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »

.....  If they wanted to attract more people to the ham bands why did they not  simply say anyone with an Electronics or communications degree could apply for a license  if they sat  an exam for ham radio rules and regulations. This would have
been a more reliable way of attracting quality people interested in advancing the science....

Zenki, right here is where you make one of your mistakes.  Amateur radio is a HOBBY.  It does involve science, but it is still just a hobby.

For quite a lot of people--people who have been on the bands a long time, ham radio provides a fun way to meet and speak to people from other areas of the world.  They do have an interest in communications and theory, but are not--in the least--interested in the science involved in ham radio.  To them, all it is is an enjoyable passtime.

Please don't take offense, but it seems by your posts that, to you, ham radio is only about science and experimenting.  I would suggest that you consider that science is just one part of the entire ham radio experience.  If it is the part you're interested in--and nothing else--good for you!  Enjoy.  But please realize--and have regard--that not everyone sees ham radio the way you do.  Have a little tolerance for those who see it differently.  73!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 03:01:31 PM »

I agree with W1IT!

As for N1UK reply #4 unfortunately on HF or any other frequency Ham Radio was not intended for a one on one monopolized conversation. That would be impossible ,because everyone is gonna hear your thought and comments and is only right and the norm for some to chime in. I'm sure you can't say that you've never allowed a third and fourth party join your QSO and no one is a mind reader to say "this guy don't want me commenting". The Ham bands are a open forum of short wave and if there's something you want one on one and private then you better use a phone.

I've been a Ham 20 years and it's been the last 10 I've seen such an increase in obnoxious over bearing narcissism behavior like nothing else. It's a shame! Everyone has a right to say just about what ever they want and the same for just changing the dial. If it's being said with out profanity and with some intelligence then there should be no problem pertaining to our freedom of speech.

Why is it difficult for these morons just to follow Gentlemen Band Plan Agreements and Article 97?

If you'd just follow these guide lines then just listening to a conversation you don't like is as easy as moving on to another frequency and group of people you can relate to. Then again if you don't want drama then it's as easy as not bringing up a conversation where it brings out the cocker roaches. Then yet again why should you have to limit your context of conversation as long as it keeps clean and intelligent argument even.

We don't live in a perfect world, but this hobbies mentality is changing and I don't like it. I love the old Ham Radio mentality but I just don't see it anymore.

73!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:05:06 PM by N2RRA » Logged
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »

Bad ops, Bad drivers, inconsiderate individuals in the store, bad bosses, etc. all a snap shot of our society, not just limited to Amateur Radio.  It is a break down in our society when no one takes ownership, no one takes the blame, it is all someone else, and along with it, no enforcement or punishment.  Just look at all the postings of individuals being ripped off $$$ due to crooked Buyers, Sellers, on Ebay, Eham, QTH, QRZ, and the list goes one.

Sad indeed, but I try to muddle on and turn the dial, turn the band switch, whatever, and enjoy the hobby.

THey are scads of good folks out there, and I talk to many of them everytime I hit the "ON" button on my radio.  GL and hang in there....
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »

WU0R,

Great commments! The break down in societies ethics, courtesy, respect and such are very disturbing. Problem is it's not just in today's younger generation ,but more so in todays Ham community which is mostly made up of elderly (excuse me for saying) and experienced Hams.

What the Hell?

Those people are supposed to be the mature and wiser. Why the psychological difference from the mentality in which they were raised from? Maybe it was just masked in B.S. all their lives and now their acting out their younger out lashing.

We could probably talk about it till we're blue in the face and make no sense of it ,but the route man kind is heading with all this narcissism will ultimately destroy the very things we enjoy in life. Just plain pathetic!

To not be influenced by the rest and to not deal with the bull I strayed away from certain segments of various bands. Amazing the different mentality depended on privilege of band segments and modes.

73!
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 04:47:09 PM »

How many times does one run off lids in the 6 meter DX window that totally wipe out the weak DX just to rag chew?  The band is sufficiently large enough to accommodate QSOs, about 50.2 but many think (or just don't care) that they can rag chew on 50.115, 120, 110, CONUS, etc.  Gentlemen's agreement, band plans, DX Windows, right out the window. 

For something like this, they need to give the DX an "out of band" spectrum and they can listen within the USA Band plan for stations, then it wouldn't matter much....

But, a simple read of the band plans, agreements, etc. would make life easier in many instances...LOL
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: