Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shielded-cable used on old style keyboards?  (Read 1323 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:08:41 AM »

It is well known that SignaLink-USB only does AFSK for RTTY.
So, to get FSK for true RTTY,  I bought a W3YY kit.
Since the kit does not include an enclosure, the connectors or cables, I'm shopping around for those parts.
One connector/cable, that I need, is a 6-pin male mini-DIN and 5-wire shielded cable.
I have in storage an old E-machines keyboard which was part of a computer system that I bought in 2000.
I noted that it has a 6-pin male mini-DIN connector (rather than the USB-connector seen on newer keyboards).
To find out if its cable was shielded and how many wires its cable had, I took it apart.
But I am unable to see if there is a shield on the cable because the end of the cable's jacket at the keyboard is covered up with shrink-tubing.
There are five wires coming out of the shrink-tubing.
So my question is, "Does anyone know if the old-style keyboard has a shield on its cabling?"
I should mention that I'm not about to butcher up my old keyboard; I have other plans for it.
Rather, I'd hunt around for a similar old style keyboard and get its connector/cable.
73 Jerry KM3K
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:41:04 AM by KM3K » Logged
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »

Well, after a couple days here with no replies, I put my question to the Yaesu FT-950 group on Yahoo since I'd be connecting this cable to my FT-950.
The answers there have that I should not expect a shield on the cable; after all, a shield would only add cost to the product.
To quote one reply, "I used a similar cable for PSK31 with a Rascal. it has no shield, works great but i use ferrite to keep out RF." I'll use that idea.
So on now to the next problem.
73 Jerry KM3K
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »

Hi
Some hard-wired usb devices, such as kb and mouse that I have, already have good sized ferrites on them from the factory. I use a mouse and kb on a broken laptop and they impart no noise on hf when on battery power that I can find, at least so far. You might try cat cable for connecting ham gear, using one of each pair for data/control, and grounding the other of the pair. They are twisted to reduce rfi/emi, and I have heard that they are often quieter electromagnetically than shielded cables used in the same manner. Just some thoughts for ya.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:32:39 AM »

Leads to computer keyboards are shielded. Your five leads coming out the end are:

Shield
Negative power
Positive power
Clock (from PC to keyboard)
Data (bidirectional)

Tanakasan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: