Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Equipment Shelving Support  (Read 2444 times)
K7LY

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »

I need to add some shelves to handle more equipment rather that stacking on top of each other.  I did see a pic some time back of a shack with shelving that appeared to be supported with some kind of tubing between each shelf.  I like that nice clean look and would love to find the source of this kind of support.  Anyone have any ideas?
Tnx 7 73
Jerry France
K7LY
Lake Havasu City, AZ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »

One thing I can suggest is iron pipe sections, threaded, with flanges on the top and bottom of the pipe sections.  If the shelves are solid wood, there will be enough of a thickness to use 3/4 wood screws to hold the pipe spacers to the shelves.  Another idea would be to get the iron pipe long enough to run through the shelves you want and use cut wood spacers to separate and strengthen the shelf unit.

The only other thing I can think of is specialized shelving units that assemble using short sections of piupe and spacers, but those can't hold too much weight.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »

One of the best ways to "stack" equipment is inside a 19" wide "Equipment rack"  Seen at most all swapfests nowadays at close to give away prices.   I usually make up my own brackets to fit the equipment in, Or just install steel strips to make the "shelves" inside the unit.

Lacking one of those, Most all discount home supply stores sell wire closet shelving in various sizes. This stuff is great for stacking radios on. It is made up of welded steel wire, And coax and power wires can just be dropped right between the wires!  No holes need to be drilled. Plus it is fireproof! AND it lets lots of nice cooling air right through!  The closet shelving can be supported in a number of ways, Wall brackets, etc.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:48:13 AM »

Check out the shelf construction I use at www.k8ac.net.  The black vertical tubes are from Sanus TV/audio component stands and are very substantial steel and are secured to the shelves with 1/4" threaded rods.  The shelves are 3/4" oak veneer plywood with iron-on oak tape edges.  The posts come in several sizes and can often be found on eBay.  As you can see, the structure handles my beefy Alpha amplifier quite well and it gets a high wife approval rating.  And - it's fairly easy to modify the shelves to accommodate changes in rigs.

73, K8AC
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33:17 AM »

Very nice set up.  And a great shack photo.

Vince

Vince
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: